Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read a lot of posts and articles about how important scouting is and different techniques for doing so. I like to start scouting a month in advance, mid october or so. I have narrowed down a few spots that have signs of heavy traffic, but my question is: how do I know where to expect the deer to come from? I am sure all deer are different, but is there are normal pattern that most deer will follow. I assume they are eating at night and finding a place to bed down during the day on warmer days, does this hold true when the temp drops too?

A little background about the area I hunt. It is a few hundred acres of state land surrounded by private. The east side of the property has a stream running through it, the north side(a couple miles north) of the property has some corn fields with a smaller stream breaking up the northern portion of state land.

The one spot I plan to set up is on the east side real close to the stream and the major trail runs north and south along side the stream. On the other side of the stream is private land, and I know a landowner on that side who has a food plot and his property is a little south of my stand spot there, so I can assume they will come from the south after crossing the water.

I guess my biggest concern is tracking them back to their bedding or feeding areas when most likely they come from private land. I have used google earth to locate nearby fields and water, but how many assumptions can be made and is there an easy tell tale sign to know which direction the deer will be heading at a certain time?

Thanks for reading

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
well an "easy" way to tell when deer are moving through is witha motion camera, but on public land i would be real nervous to put one out

1 - 2 of 2 Posts