Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a newbie question but I will be doing this on my own. Knowing full well that bears are not everywhere up in Northern Michigan, not the UP, is it any thick swamp, dive in? Look for bear droppings, footprints, scratch/marked up trees, or even better, a bear standing in those footprints? Even if these are found, is there type or setting that I should look?

·
Premium Member
11,375 Posts
Bears do like crops so you could ask a farmer or two. But you'll have a lot more fun if you hit the ground and scout for yourself.

Bears like cover and this is often how they travel from one food source to another. So, take a cue from the hound guys and drive some roads and two tracks and look for tracks and scat. Not only where they are headed but just as important where they came from. They are going to be feeding on whatever is available during the summer. So, while that's helpful. Come September they will most likely be focusing on other foods. This is why you want to find a general area they are using. When it's time to scout bait stations look for things like Luv2hunt mentioned. You want your baits to be in an area they are using at the time so that they learn to incorporate your stations in their normal routine.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Freshly torn up logs to get the ants are a good sign, but I typically see this in early to mid summer. They also like to have some big trees available. Trails will be wider than deer trails. Some water in the area helps. Torn up black, pin, and choke cherries are good sign. Good luck.

Reactions: jeffm and Nostromo

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To all of you, those are great starting points. I do realize it will be boots on the ground to really scout. Thank you!

·
Registered
160 Posts
To eliminate competing with hound hunters scout within a couple miles of busy highways and get at least a half mile in to avoid the dogs rigging on your bait.
To avoid bait hunters, don't leave any sign yourself. Watch your footprints and don't park in the same place twice.
Once you find a few good spots, come back at night with a flash light and look for tacks on trees.
Competition is tough in northern lower and eastern U.P.
Have at least three good locations, a lot of patience and enjoy scouting as much as the actual hunt.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
To avoid bait hunters, don't leave any sign yourself. Watch your footprints and don't park in the same place twice.
Have you had other hunters literally try using your bait?

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
That's something ive never thought of jaspo and even if those type of people didn't bait appropriately enough to give me competition they would still make the bear feel unsecure in the area.

Reactions: Jaspo

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
To all of you, those are great starting points. I do realize it will be boots on the ground to really scout. Thank you!
If your hunting in the UP, your already in prime bear territory. Any big swamp that you can get close to and set a bait, you'll have bears in it.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My intention is NLP. Have a friend who has a cabin in bear country that when she goes on walks with the dog has a lot of contact with bears, no attacks, just lots of sightings, passing through the yard, lots of bear sign. Unsure if they are big bears or lots of youngsters?

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
My intention is NLP. Have a friend who has a cabin in bear country that when she goes on walks with the dog has a lot of contact with bears, no attacks, just lots of sightings, passing through the yard, lots of bear sign. Unsure if they are big bears or lots of youngsters?
Depends on the area. Lots of cedar swamps in NLP.

·
Premium Member
11,375 Posts
Trail cameras.

·
Premium Member
9,470 Posts
ZAP !

Plant American black bear Carnivore Tree Grizzly bear

Reactions: chuckinduck

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
So what is that thing the bear is fooling with?

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
Looks like cattle fence on a Christmas tree with insulators and live power running to it. Would like to see the bears response to the shock.

·
Premium Member
9,470 Posts
Looks like cattle fence on a Christmas tree with insulators and live power running to it. Would like to see the bears response to the shock.
Well your wish came through last night :)

The Christmas tree is actually a bird feeder pole holding 8 bird feeders. The feeders are raised up and down for filling by ropes. It has a 50 mile charger hooked to it with about 150' of wire. ITS HOT! He came in twice last night, first time was right at the time a video from the back door window just didn't show well. Just to dark.
We have another feeder on the front/side of the house we remove every night, but I hadn't gotten it down before he came. I finally had to run him off. That worked for a 1/2hr and he came back.
I'll post a link to both videos. The last video, watch it right to the end.

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
Well your wish came through last night :)

The Christmas tree is actually a bird feeder pole holding 8 bird feeders. The feeders are raised up and down for filling by ropes. It has a 50 mile charger hooked to it with about 150' of wire. ITS HOT! He came in twice last night, first time was right at the time a video from the back door window just didn't show well. Just to dark.
We have another feeder on the front/side of the house we remove every night, but I hadn't gotten it down before he came. I finally had to run him off. That worked for a 1/2hr and he came back.
I'll post a link to both videos. The last video, watch it right to the end.

Yep did its job. He definitely didn't like the poke he got.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I like to bait along bear highways and about 1/2 mile from the river on a dead end road. Oil pits make sure that the trails are smelly and lead everywhere. I hang beavers from April until Oct.31 every year. Moose scraps help out a bit as well. Anise flavoured oil and berries from my property go into their food. My baits are constantly changing with the season. After the spring season, I stop baiting for a week and start back up. This get rid of all the big bears and I feed the sows and young bears for the summer. Once I ramp up in the fall,the big ones come back and chase the sows and young bears off.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts