Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,991 Posts
All good information.

I learned from watching hundreds of bucks up in the
Canadian Provinces. The quickest way for me is to add
up the tine lengths and if they total 25" on one side the deer will score around 140", 30" equals 150", etc.
This assumes that both sides have an equal number of points, average mass and typical spread for that size rack. Extra mass and spread are a bonus. This method has served me well and I have taken some nice bucks
using it. I also use the antler/nose relationship, but it's easy to be fooled with that one, plus the opportunity does'nt always present itself.

As he mentions, you often only have a few seconds to score a deer on the hoof and mistakes can be costly. Last year I harvested a 150" buck in Kansas and only had 2-3 seconds to judge him, seeing only the right side. Number of points and 12" G-2's was enough for me.

I practice score every chance I get and usually feel pretty confident that if the opportunity presents itself, I'll be ready.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All good information.

I learned from watching hundreds of bucks up in the
Canadian Provinces. The quickest way for me is to add
up the tine lengths and if they total 25" on one side the deer will score around 140", 30" equals 150", etc.
This assumes that both sides have an equal number of points, average mass and typical spread for that size rack. Extra mass and spread are a bonus. This method has served me well and I have taken some nice bucks
using it. I also use the antler/nose relationship, but it's easy to be fooled with that one, plus the opportunity does'nt always present itself.

As he mentions, you often only have a few seconds to score a deer on the hoof and mistakes can be costly. Last year I harvested a 150" buck in Kansas and only had 2-3 seconds to judge him, seeing only the right side. Number of points and 12" G-2's was enough for me.

I practice score every chance I get and usually feel pretty confident that if the opportunity presents itself, I'll be ready.
This is the one thing I don't get much practice with here in michigan, Im looking for a nice buck, I don't need to shoot something just to shoot it. I hope I am able to judge close enough, I figure on being picky. If you were going to Kansas, what would you wait for or pass the first couple days. I was told you should look on passing a 140 class buck the first couple days. I guess it will all fall into place or it won't, that's hunting:D

·
Registered
10,991 Posts
I went there last year with the idea of 150" minimum
the first few days. Ended up scoring on him the second day. My one buddy took a mid 140's the 4th day and other buddy did'nt score on one. He saw smaller bucks and a 140" early in the week, but passed. He's killed several over 160", so he was holding out.

Probably depends on what your area holds for deer and sightings and whether you are bow hunting or firearms. I doubt that I would pass a 140" bow hunting.

We're doing hunts in Nebraska and Kansas this year and I will hold to my 150" minimum til late in the week.................unless I mis-score him on the
hoof!!!!:lol: I hate groound shrinkage. :sad:

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
easiest way for me...average rack is about a 90'' frame...from there, add up the total inches of the points and you should be in the ballpark.

·
Premium Member
30,939 Posts
I bulldogum, measure, then decide.:evil:

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I bulldogum, measure, then decide.:evil:

:lol: My dad likes to say If you think its big enough but your not sure Ground check em!:evil:

So SRConnel the average frame is 90?

Biggest buck I have is about a 115-120 so It will be hard to pass 140-150. I would be happy with that, but when I heard the guy tell be if you can pass a 150 and sit on stand all day every day, you have great odds of seeing a monster. Guess I'll have to see how bad a 150 class buck makes my finger itch:lol:

·
Premium Member
30,939 Posts
:lol: My dad likes to say If you think its big enough but your not sure Ground check em!:evil:

Biggest buck I have is about a 115-120 so It will be hard to pass 140-150. I would be happy with that, but when I heard the guy tell be if you can pass a 150 and sit on stand all day every day, you have great odds of seeing a monster. Guess I'll have to see how bad a 150 class buck makes my finger itch:lol:
If there's no penalty where you're hunting for shooting a 140" I'd go for it. There is a progression involved. If you're never going again you may never see another 140 in your life, at least in Michigan, if you do go again you can raise your standards then.
Good luck and enjoy the hunt.

Big T

·
Registered
10,991 Posts

One year in Sask. I passed a 155" 9 point twice the
first day (Monday). I have 20 minutes or so of good video of him. On Saturday, it was -23 F and I had'nt tagged yet (one of 4 in camp). First thing that morning I tagged a 184" triple drop tine dandy (photo in my gallery). Four bucks were harvested that day with the smallest a 152" 8 point.

Looking back on it I should have taken the 9 point, but would have never known about the big one. Everyone has to make their own decision, but if I did'nt have a 140" on the wall, I'd probably have a hard time passing. Most guys will nevery kill a 140" in their lifetime, if you have a chance ???????

Good luck. what county you hunting?

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One year in Sask. I passed a 155" 9 point twice the
first day (Monday). I have 20 minutes or so of good video of him. On Saturday, it was -23 F and I had'nt tagged yet (one of 4 in camp). First thing that morning I tagged a 184" triple drop tine dandy (photo in my gallery). Four bucks were harvested that day with the smallest a 152" 8 point.

Looking back on it I should have taken the 9 point, but would have never known about the big one. Everyone has to make their own decision, but if I did'nt have a 140" on the wall, I'd probably have a hard time passing. Most guys will nevery kill a 140" in their lifetime, if you have a chance ???????

Good luck. what county you hunting?
Hunting southeast Kansas in Benedict (unit 11/12.) I don't have a 140 yet. That will make the decision a little harder:evil:.

·
Registered
10,991 Posts
Hunting southeast Kansas in Benedict (unit 11/12.) I don't have a 140 yet. That will make the decision a little harder:evil:.
10-4.

We will be in 12 and 14, a stones throw from you.
Check out the 192 4/8 inch monster taken in Unit 12
9/22, with ML, on B&C trophy watch.

If you have'nt hunted there, you will love the country.
It reeks big bucks!!:yikes:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Tell you what. The first time you see that 140 or 150 class buck walk into your shooting lane the adrenline will be pumping. I've killed a lot of large furry animals but last year when that 150 walk by I about messed myself!!!:dizzy:

If you haven't tagged one I don't know how you pass one up!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts