Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have booked a hunt in Pike county IL for next Oct. They have a 140 minimum that you can shoot. I need all the help I can get on scoring a rack before I shot one. Does any one have a good source for learning how to score.

Thanks
Bill

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
Yup, easiest way is to start with a score of 90" for a larger framed rack and simply add tine length to estimate a score. In a hurry you just estimate one side and double it, example (5" brow, 8" G-2, 7" G-3, 3" G-3) you'd have a 136" 10 point. It works really well and will be quite accurate. If it carries great mass, start with 100".

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Icehog, I see you are in Linden. I also live in Linden. I'm at Jennings and Rolston. Where are you located?

Bill

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
I have booked a hunt in Pike county IL for next Oct. They have a 140 minimum that you can shoot. I need all the help I can get on scoring a rack before I shot one. Does any one have a good source for learning how to score.

Thanks
Bill
For me I've found the best way is to look at taxidermy mounts of deer that actually have been scored & are legit 140 or better. That may help you figure out what it takes to get 140" of bone up top. As far as in the field scoring, remember if you're trying to judge if an 8 point that's going to make this places minimum, it takes a hell of a 4X4 to go North of 140. Obviously it gets easier for 10 points & up. Another thing about in the field, try & not judge/score a buck from behind, that is the the worst angle as far as making them look bigger than they really are in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
Thank you Icehog, I see you are in Linden. I also live in Linden. I'm at Jennings and Rolston. Where are you located?

Bill
About 2 miles from you, I'm on Rolston just West of Ripley.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
One thing I've noticed is that the tines always seem longer on a live, standing deer than they do once they're dead.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
For me I've found the best way is to look at taxidermy mounts of deer that actually have been scored & are legit 140 or better. That may help you figure out what it takes to get 140" of bone up top. As far as in the field scoring, remember if you're trying to judge if an 8 point that's going to make this places minimum, it takes a hell of a 4X4 to go North of 140. Obviously it gets easier for 10 points & up. Another thing about in the field, try & not judge/score a buck from behind, that is the the worst angle as far as making them look bigger than they really are in my opinion.
I going to say the same thing about 8pts. Let them walk unless its a giant.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the pics. Keep them coming I'm going to need all the help I can get. Do not want to have to pay the penalty for a under size buck!!!

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Thanks for all the pics. Keep them coming I'm going to need all the help I can get. Do not want to have to pay the penalty for a under size buck!!!
The 140 minimum there, I'm assuming that's gross score right? I mean that can't expect you to do deductions from the stand right:eek:? & What's the damage if it doesn't make 140"?

·
Registered
4,692 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts

Mid 140s mainframe 8. Would have made over 150 with brows.

Mid 140s ten.

Here’s a shot from the back to show some deception. What do you think this one goes?9 pts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 44 Posts