Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it has been a very busy spring, and this morning was the first day my buddy and I could get out for a hunt. We set up where the birds typically roost, but were surprised to hear the initial gobbles quite a ways away to the west...

I let out a fly-down cackle, then some clucks and soft yelps. After 20 minutes, we had a pair of gobblers booming about 75 yards away. They hung out there, never coming any closer. Finally, giving way to impatience, I let out a "juvenille" gobble to see if the threat of another tom taking that sexy little hen would close the deal. Unfortunately just the opposite happened. The toms went straight away from us and the next gobble we heard must have been a couple hundred yards away.

We moved through the woods to the field where the toms went, only to find one of the toms with a hen. I called anyway, and he thundered right back. I had my buddy set up just in from the edge of the field and I walked about 30 yards back into the woods. The tom kept responding to my cuts/yelps, and I would only call if I saw him waver in direction as he came closer. Finally, at 7:00am, he took his last couple steps in front of Mark's position and as I gave one last cut to raise his head, he fell to a 20 yard shot.

I posted a couple pictures in the photo gallery, but the tom had a 10" beard, weighed about 22# and had 1" hooks. The best part is there was a hen he was with that neither if us had seen until just before we took him. The hen slipped into the woods, and the tom was more interested in my calls than the hen he could see!

Sorry for the long post - I think I am still wound up!

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Very nice bird, congrats. . . always fun to be able to pull 'em from the real thing.

·
Registered
8,382 Posts
way to go, its always awesome when you can call those birds away from the hens and give them a headache.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts