Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of switching the sight on my bow to one of the scope types. I have used penduliums, fixed pins, peeps, and many others. The hunting I do is in deep cedar in northern MI. I hunt over bait most of the time and see most of my deer just before dark. While still hunting legal hours, it gets hard to see much quicker in the tall cedar. I have had troubles with sighting in on deer using pins and peep, no metter what size peep hole or using glow pins. A person just cannot focus through a peep onto a pin and still line up on a kill spot when light get low. I've read that scope sight are excellant for this type of setup.

To all that have actually hunted with a scope sight, please give me your evaluation.

Could you see better at low light?

Did not having a peep hurt you?

If you like, what brand do you recommend?

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
I haven't hunted with one in the conditions you describe, but I have shot with them before. I like them. They should work great in low light, especially if you get a scope that allows you to turn down the intensity of the dot. A bright dot works well in the daytime but is so bright in low light it washes out the target.
I would really only consider the Pollington 33mm set up. www.thebuckpole.com is the websight. $252 for the mount and the scope. I don't think they are an ideal target sight by any means but are great for hunting.

I'm currently thinking of this system myself.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Swamp Monster!

I don't do any target shooting (like 3D). I through up a stand in the back yard to shot from and just wack deer targets at different yardages. Anything in the chest is a 10. I care not to be known as the guy who could shoot an airborn quarter at 40 yards, I just don't want to miss a chance at the big one.

Do you know, can the sight be adjusted for different distances?

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Just a thought, you do not need a peep to be a good shot, as long as you maintain a good solid anchor point. I did away with the peep two years ago, and I can still keep a 4 inch group at 50 yards. I like how much better I can see my target, and with a decent fiber optic site you should have no problem in low light conditions, especially with nitro lights etc. Just a thought before you go out and buy a scope. I just do not like the idea of having a electronic device that may die and end a hunting trip.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I've shot a few bows with the Polington scope and the difference at low light verses a peep were amazing, just can't get used to keeping both eyes open to shoot.

Mitch

·
Registered
353 Posts
I know several guys with pollingtons, and they say great things. I insted tried a cheap $100 inventive technologies (from cabelas) this past season and moisture penetrated the scope and it was perpetually fogged up. I returned it.

I hunt alot of low light areas too, ended up purchasing an hha pin sight, which has 30 ft of green fiber wrapped in it. It is unbelievable, still visible after shooting hours. In addition I use a tube peep sight and can see a mack truck through it..

I would say try a pollington if you want to go that route....red dots are pretty nice once you get use to shooting them (kisser, no peep, etc)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took a look at the Pollington since it seams to be so highly recommended. It sound like its just what I'm looking for. It's a tuff decission. I've used many many different sight and havn't found that perfect one let. Spend $45 and not like it, you through it in the collection box. Spend $250 and not like it, you kick yourself in the bum. I hate wasting good money, thou this may be it.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Joshua,

Take some time and go up to Marion to Buckpole, they'd be more than happy to let you shoot a bow set up with the scope.

Don't spend the cash without trying it out, it's not for everyone.

Mitch

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
Joshua,
Take Mitch's advice. The guys at the Buckpole are pretty good guys and they can help you out. Thats the only sight those guys use and having them set it up for you would be beneficial. Obviously, it's a pretty easy procedure but they'll spend plenty of time with you and have you dialed in before you leave. If your at all interested, the trip would be well worht it before you make your decision. It's close to Clare and Jay's so make it a day trip, just don't forget your wallet!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts