Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up a 350 legend upper with a 20" barrel as an affordable way to dabble with the newest straight walled ammo that is legal for deer hunting south of the saginaw line but now I am looking at scopes and can't seem to figure out what I really want. I broke in the barrel last Friday and had an old Burris shotgun scope on it just to have some fun trying to see how accurate I could be with it. It shot well, less recoil than I had anticipated. still sighing in the scope a little at 100 yards in the second pic.

I'm looking for a scope that is about 4-16x and will collect a good amount of like for twilight hours. I know that 16X is a pretty powerful scope for most hunting situations but my thought is that i might put this scope on a different rifle one day for some other hunts. Plus if the rifle is going to reach out to 200+ i want a cope that allows me to do it with ease.

I am currently looking at the following scope.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-diamondback-tactical-ffp-4-16x44-moa.html

my only concern with this is that it is a FFP scope, and I have never owned a FFP scope before. I am wonder how large the reticle becomes as you increase magnification to 16x or how hard it can be to see it at 4x.

Another scope I am considering is this Nikon.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/nikon-prostaff-p5-4-16x42sf-riflescope.html

The price is good, and it is SFP which I am familiar with. Down side is that the MOA will only be true at one magnification. I thought about make a note card with how much drop to compensate for at key distances and magnifications. but that might be a pain while hunting.

the last scope I'm looking at is the following Leupold

https://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold-vx-freedom-4-12x40-1-inch-riflescopes.html

the only down side to this is that the magnification is only to 12x. however I wave been told that once you find the round that you gun likes best you can send them the specs and they will make you a cap that you can turn from 1 to 2 indicating a shot at 100 and 200 yards and you will not need to compensate for any drop. which is really cool IMO. kinda reduces the concern from the Nikon about using different magnification.

wonder if anyone out there has any thoughts that might help me make a decision.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
well i got to hold the Vortex diamondback 4-16X 44mm today. I think I'm sold. when the wife gets home we might head out and buy it. I like the FFP, my only issue is how fine the reticle gets at 4x, I'm worried about low light situations, but if this scope collects light well it shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Leupold Freedom 3-9x40. They offer a .350 legend specific model calibrated to the Win 150 XP load out to 350yds...or you could zero it at 175 yds and be 2.5” high at 100y and 2.5” low at 200yds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't trust the pre-calibrated BDC. they dont know what ammo or the gun I am shooting out of. so they cant account for the velocity and trajectory.

But, good news, I bought the Vortex Diamondback 4-16X 44mm and i think it will do just fine. really excited to to have a FFP scope, this will be fun.

·
Banned
1,051 Posts
Leupold Freedom 3-9x40. They offer a .350 legend specific model calibrated to the Win 150 XP load out to 350yds...or you could zero it at 175 yds and be 2.5” high at 100y and 2.5” low at 200yds.

I also went this route

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm happy with the Diamondback. As I said before I am looking forward to my first FFP scope. Also I gotta love the parallax adjustment

·
Banned
37,197 Posts
That is the one I purchased. Nothing fancy. Sighted in so I can hold dead out out to 200 yards, which is all further I can shoot. Perfect for the .350

·
Registered
491 Posts
I don't trust the pre-calibrated BDC. they dont know what ammo or the gun I am shooting out of. so they cant account for the velocity and trajectory.

But, good news, I bought the Vortex Diamondback 4-16X 44mm and i think it will do just fine. really excited to to have a FFP scope, this will be fun.
The Leupold CDS is calibrated for the .350 Legend Winchester 150 XP load at 2325fps and .21 BC. It also has standard click marks if you want to shoot another load...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts