Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to put a scope on my 30.06. My budget is $200.00 or less(ideally $150. I shoot no farther then 50 yards. Please advise me to the best most accurate scope within my price range. (brand name and model number, as well as power) Thank you all very much, i admit i dont have a clue what to buy!

·
Registered
993 Posts
Based on some of my friends recommendations, I bought a Nikon Prostaff 3 X 9 in matte finish from Cabelas for $159.00. So far through sighting in I have been very impressed with the glass..very clear..I know of several others using Nikon scopes that rave about them for the price.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I am looking to put a scope on my 30.06. My budget is $200.00 or less(ideally $150. I shoot no farther then 50 yards. Please advise me to the best most accurate scope within my price range. (brand name and model number, as well as power) Thank you all very much, i admit i dont have a clue what to buy!
If in fact your shots are "...no farther than 50 yards..." and you are using this rifle to hunt deer or similar game at similar distances you really don't need a scope at all unless you are intent on also shooting MOA groups on paper targets which have little if any relevance to killing a deer at fifty yards or less. If you are nonetheless intent on buying a scope find a fixed power 2.5 or perhaps a variable, 1-4, at the most. Can't ever imagine why you would need anything greater at fifty yards. Even with my ageing eyes I can put shot after shot after shot into a paper plate sized target from my 45/70 at fifty yards - more than adequate for killing a deer art fifty yards.

Hoppe's no.10

·
Registered
6,897 Posts
If in fact your shots are "...no farther than 50 yards..." and you are using this rifle to hunt deer or similar game at similar distances you really don't need a scope at all unless you are intent on also shooting MOA groups on paper targets which have little if any relevance to killing a deer at fifty yards or less. If you are nonetheless intent on buying a scope find a fixed power 2.5 or perhaps a variable, 1-4, at the most. Can't ever imagine why you would need anything greater at fifty yards. Even with my ageing eyes I can put shot after shot after shot into a paper plate sized target from my 45/70 at fifty yards - more than adequate for killing a deer art fifty yards.

Hoppe's no.10
I can't ever imagine someone wanting to limit themselves to open sights no matter what the range. Especially during low-light conditions. Get the scope.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I can't ever imagine someone wanting to limit themselves to open sights no matter what the range. Especially during low-light conditions. Get the scope.
Especially since most guns don't have irons anymore and it would cost way more to install them than a scope.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I agree a scope is not completly needed, but I would feel much more confident in my accuracy. I do have bad eye sight (even with my contacts) and they are horrible in low light. After a little thought, my current long shot would be no longer then 50 yards, but why limit myself for future opportunities! The Nikon brand seems as the only consencious so far. Please continue with options for me. Heading out in the A.M. to a local gun shop and I will take his opinion into consideration as well. Thanks again all!

·
Registered
774 Posts
I second the nikon prostaff. Damn good optics for the price. Watch craigslist and ebay. I've got a barely used one off craigslist for 70 bucks and a new one off ebay for 100.

·
Registered
6,897 Posts
Especially since most guns don't have irons anymore and it would cost way more to install them than a scope.
Most of the guns I see on the racks indeed have open sights, but they are all drilled and tapped for scope mounts. Some people like to use strictly iron sights, but I wonder if it is more for ego than for practicality. Optical sights outperform open sights, plain and simple.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Check out Mueller optics. I'm sure that you could find something there that will fit your criteria. They have very nice scopes for the money.

J-

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update:
As you all have read in my previous post about a scope to buy. I went to the local shop today and was told my 1909 Mauser Modelo Argentino would be a pain in the a** to put a scope on($250 w/scope). I did however find a Remington 700 30.06 for sale in the shop. Beautiful condition, wood stock with a 3X9 scope all sighted in at 100 yards, ready to hunt with for $600.
Three Questions:
1. If this older Remington 700 a nice gun?
2. Is $600 a decent deal, or should i shop around somemore.
3. Is my 1909 Mauser 30.06 worth anything? Is it a collectors item at all without the original caliber?

Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Update:
As you all have read in my previous post about a scope to buy. I went to the local shop today and was told my 1909 Mauser Modelo Argentino would be a pain in the a** to put a scope on($250 w/scope). I did however find a Remington 700 30.06 for sale in the shop. Beautiful condition, wood stock with a 3X9 scope all sighted in at 100 yards, ready to hunt with for $600.
Three Questions:
1. If this older Remington 700 a nice gun?
2. Is $600 a decent deal, or should i shop around somemore.
3. Is my 1909 Mauser 30.06 worth anything? Is it a collectors item at all without the original caliber?

Thanks again guys.
Remington Model 700 has a long, proud and established history as being a well put together firearm.

Because your Argentine Mauser has been re-chambered it is worth zilch to a collector. If it's still in it's military configuration (stock, sights, safety etc.) it has little appeal to most hunters. The action (Mauser 98 ???), however, is probably in and of itself worth as much as the rifle as a whole but not the easiest to sell. Check Gunbroker etc. for prices.

As to the worth of the 700 much depends on condition and specific model. There were many, many different models and upgrades over the decades. What brand of scope is on it? There's a lot of space between a Leupold and some bargain basement Asian import.

Hoppe's no.10

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I didnt get the specific model number other than Remington 700. After a little research it looks to be a 80's or early 90's BDL. The scope was made by Swift(Minn, USA made) 3x9-40 The bullet could be dicharged with the saftey on. Not sure if that help to date the gun, i know you could not do that before a certain date.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Personally, I'd rather buy a brand new Savage with the accutrigger and scope for less money than that used Remington, which probably won't have as nice of a trigger. The simmons scopes that come with the Savage combos aren't the greatest, but are more than sufficient for your 50 yard shots. Just a thought.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
I'd opt for a Burris Fullfield II 3x9x40. They are a US company but some of the products are made overseas. THe higher end scopes are made here but they all have a lifetime warranty. THe fullfield scopes have dual springs to keep the scope alingment in check under the most severe recoil and shock. Ebay is a good place to find great deals. I have bought one from this seller...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Burris-Fullfiel...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item439af5ccb6

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
$600 for a 25 year old Remington 700 BDL with the Swift is to much money. The BDL runs new around $750. The BDL is the "old School" walnut stocked 700 with the 70's and 80's popular white line spacers and such. Nice looking for that time period but very unpopular today. The scope is worth about $50, the rifle is worth about $375 if it is in excellent condition. I love the 700's, great rifles but I would not pay that price for a used one...and I'd never buy a BDL based on looks alone, but thats a personal preference.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
The bullet could be dicharged with the saftey on.
The bullet could be discharged with the safety on? Please explain. Do you mean that the rifle has a three position safety like the Ruger 77 (Model 70 Wing Safety)?

1. Safety off, pull trigger and gun will fire.

2. Middle position - bolt can be activated, live cartridges extracted and ejected but firing pin is dis-engaged.

3. Safety on - trigger cannot be pulled, cartridge cannot be fired, bolt cannot be lifted.

Is this what you mean?

Hoppe's no.10

·
Registered
270 Posts
i used to use iron sights too. i`m 54 yrs. old now and have a scope on every gun i own. just can`t make out that rear sight anymore.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts