Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just interested in a little feedback. I have a Remington 870 .20 ga. rifled barrel slug gun. I tend to hunt heavy cover (like bow shots) so not too worried about getting a bead on something that close, but I think a scope would be nice to pick out holes in the cover too or stretch my shots comfortably to 75 yards + a little I suppose. Do you figure with the rig I have a scoped set-up will drill them right on target a whole lot better? I ask because I don't have much experience with these new hotshot sabot loads. The Hornady SSTs, w open sights, I got to group 3" more or less with the open sights at 50 yards. Any reasons for or against? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
38,414 Posts
I think at 75 yards on a deer sized target in the swamp, quick target acquisition would be the key. I would go with this:
http://www.muelleroptics.com/products/shotgun-scopes

I am seriously considering putting one on my O/U combo gun. I have never heard from anyone who has tried one the effect it may have on wing shooting, I may have to be the test pod.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
So I assume that most of your shots will be under 75yrds, is that close to what you think, I personally dont care for low powered scopes (1.5-2) on the low end, to me they just dont get a nice sight picture-it seems to move a bit-maybe its just me. I have shot a few friends guns set up for what you are wanting and they are using Red Dot Sights, no magnification whatsoever (altho a few can be upgraded with a slight magnification) so to me the sight picture doesn't move around. My son inherited a 30-30 with a old weaver 1.5-4, anything below 2.75 and the crosshairs and target seem to be all of the place depending on how you look down the scope. Consider a Red Dot I think you just might like them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.