Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

School or No School ?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I ran into a little delima. I shot my buck this year and I have been sitting with my 10 year old son trying to get him his first deer. I have had to work overtime this week and have not been out since Sunday. We were not going to be able to get until Saturday. A friend with season tickets to MSU called me and is having surgery so he will not be able to attend. He is giving me the tickets. And Yes I am a spartan. I am taking my son to the game, so the question is - Should I take Friday off and take him out of school to hunt all day? Probably know what I am going to do, but just want to hear from the expert panel. Not the Michigan fans!!:lol:

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Take him out of school for the day. Its not going to hurt anything and it will get him into hunting that much more!

·
Registered
102 Posts
In today's day and age and for the future an education is almost a necessity and a college degree goes a long way. It could mean the difference of getting the job or not or getting offered the job over someone else. The traits you instill in your son now will carry on a lifetime. There will be other days/years to hunt. I wouldn't pull him out just for hunting. Maybe he'll go on to get a higher education and become a major player in conservation down the road. You have already got him on the right path by taking him hunting and preserving that tradition.

·
Registered
5,823 Posts
As a teacher and hunter, I say take him. Tell his teacher that he will be out Friday and that you would like his work so that he can get it done BEFORE Friday if possible. If you dont know the teachers stance on hunting, I may not share that as the reason that he will be out...... As long as him being absent is not a reoccuring problem and he is getting the work done, I dont see a problem with it. As for the game on Saturday.... I wont comment on that :lol:

·
Registered
427 Posts
Take him hunting. He'll thank you for it it :). I missed more days in high school because of hunting than anything else and never regretted it.

·
Registered
18,781 Posts
Take the boy hunting if he really wants to go. I doubt very much that missing one whole day of school is going to put him in the unemployment line in the future or ruin his education:dizzy:

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
missed days for hunting as well..look where I am now..hehe still made it to college and never looked back!

I second the fact that you should get his work ahead of time if possible..makes the teacher happy that you care and not just pulling him out of school..

·
Registered
874 Posts
I fondly remember the times when my dad or uncle used to get me out of school back when I was that age to go hunting. Take him, he won't forget it. He's 10 too, its not like they are doing SAT prep.

·
Registered
735 Posts
As a fifth grade teacher i would say YES, with the understanding that if his grades ever slip it won't happen again. Hunting is very important but school is more important. I myself take a few days off before opening day and after to get out in the woods, i seem to always feel a "cough" coming on before firearm deer season and put in for my "sick days"

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
As a teacher and hunter, I say take him. Tell his teacher that he will be out Friday and that you would like his work so that he can get it done BEFORE Friday if possible. If you dont know the teachers stance on hunting, I may not share that as the reason that he will be out...... As long as him being absent is not a reoccuring problem and he is getting the work done, I dont see a problem with it. As for the game on Saturday.... I wont comment on that :lol:
Also as a teacher...of 10-year-old 5th graders...and as an outdoors guy myself...I can heartily agree! TAKE HIM HUNTING! There is nothing...and I mean NOTHING that he will remember (years from now) that he learned in school on Friday. Contrast that with the memories of his dad letting him skip school to hunt - priceless!

If he was in my class (uh....maybe he is?:lol:) I'd tell you the same thing right to your face. Take him hunting! Classwork can be made up - time with dad, in the field, hunting during the rut - comes not too often! There's more to learn than just dividing fractions!

·
Registered
735 Posts
well said, i might have to PM you and get some lesson plan ideas! Tracks magazine rocks BTW.

He'll always remember you taking him hunting!

·
Registered
735 Posts
:lol::cwm27::lol::cwm27::lol::cwm27::lol::cwm27::lol::cwm27:
Another reason to take him is.......THE MEAP IS OVER!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts