Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is scent an issue with turkeys like whitetail deer?

I know they have great eyesight and that's probably the biggest hurdle, but I was curious if scent is an issue?

·
Registered
640 Posts
Turkeys don't have a nose its just their pecker.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Birds don't have the ability to smell. However, one thing I've found is while turkey hunting, you do have to be somewhat scent concious. Deer are usually around while turkey hunting. If they spoke, the turkey your working will more than likely leave too. Just something to think about...

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Thunderhead said:
No, Turkeys can't smell. If they could, you'd never kill one. :)
I also agree w/ Thunderhead. I think it would be next to impossible to kill a turkey if they could smell. It is hard enought to kill one with thier sight, let alone trying to kill one with smell.

-Psebuckmaster17-

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Just wait 'til you get one. You'll learn why they have such poor sniffers.

:irked::yikes:

I didn't think a bird could smell that bad.
Any animal that can create a stink like that deserves to be hunted. :D

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Rupestris,

I have only hunted one year last year. I killed a 25lb, 8 inch beard. I dont remember it stinking. Do they usually stink. Thanks

Here is a few pictures.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
PSE,

Turkeys don't smell the greatest...next time you get one take a whiff!

Chad

·
Banned
2,140 Posts
Careful asking about scents.........You know what happened to.....YOU KNOW WHO....:evil:

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
PsEbUcKmAsTeR17 said:
Rupestris,

I have only hunted one year last year. I killed a 25lb, 8 inch beard. I dont remember it stinking. Do they usually stink. Thanks
Not all and some worse than others.
The bird my son shot relieved itself all over the underside of its tail feathers as he carried it back to the car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts