Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
35,636 Posts
It's not going to transform you into the invisible man who is a great hunter but it does help you out.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I have killed three deer without it, (using a tradional archery setup) and all within 15 yards. As we know, the nose is a whitetail's first line of defense. Here is what I do to minimize scent exposure.

The human mouth is a significant source of odor. Your breath is the first thing the animal is probably going to smell. I use Vanishing Hunter to spray directly into my mouth before and during my time in the stand. I brush my teeth and mouth with baking soda before going into the field. Regular flossing is not only good for your overall health but it will also minimize bacterial growth between your teeth and thus your breath will have less odor to neutralize.

I wash my hunting clothes, underwear and socks with a no scent detergent. I use a no scent anti-perspirant deodorant. I usually hang my clothes outside or keep in a plastic bag to minimze household odors from permeating the fabric.

Your boots are important too as a potential source of odor. Odor Eaters sole inserts by Dr. Scholl's will help to minimize foot odor. I also spray Vanishing Hunter inside my boots and on my socks before putting them on. I use Maine Hunting boots, rubber bottoms, leather uppers. All rubber boots would be better. If I were going to spend the money for scent lock it would be on my boots before anything else.

Try to set up with prevailing winds in your favor if at all possible. Don't chew gum or eat snacks that smell out of place where you will be hunting.

That's what has worked for me. I have looked at scent lock clothing but it seems like it would be hot and uncomfortable. It also requires special care to keep it activated. Since I already do the things necessary to minimize odor, for me I don't think it offers any advantage. ;)

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
you bet it works....i am very happy with the purchase.....

i have killed 2 bucks with it with their face in the wind.......im convinced

and im not sure if turkeys can smell, but i have drawn my bow on two male birds with low cover in a treestand........i missed them both........one at 30 (thought it was 20:rolleyes: :confused: ) and the other was a miss by centemeters......so it is proven that it dosnt give you a better shot...:D

Id buy one if i were you

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Never tried it. I hunt state land and rarely get lonely. The last thing I need to do is spend a bunch of money on scent elimination and then have some stinky hunter wonder by while I'm hunting.

I take the opposite approach.

Every fall I hang my clothes over the smoker while smoking some salmon. One good smoking will last the entire season. Now, the only thing the deer can smell is the scent of hickory smoke and guess what, they aren't threatened by it. Sometimes they smell it and get curious and circle me looking for the source. One of my best bucks was taken directly downwind at about 15 yards while I was sitting on the ground. He smelled nothing threatening so wasn't bothered. Trust me on this, it ain't no B.S.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I have never used scent lock cloths, but get deer every year.

I do wash my clothes in scent killer soap and a small amount of pinesol, hang them outside to dry, and place in bag with branches and leaves.

I'm good all year and see many deer.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I believe all scent block clothing is based on an activated charcoal lining? At least the stuff that I have is.

Charcoal is odor absorbent and you can test that independently with grill bricks (if they aren't pre-treated with a lighter agent). Some native american tribes used fire ash to absorb/eliminate odor by covering their body with it. So it isn't strictly a gimmick if that is what you're wondering. Like all other aids it only works as well as it is used, you still should use odorless hygene products and as mentioned above take additional measures to mask your breath and head.

I either try to keep my stuff outside or in a cedar chest and I wear knee high rubber boots. I've still been nailed by upwind deer and tracked to my tree by my dog. I don't think it's ever a question of if they smell you, it's a question of how much and of what they smell of you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts