Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's some things I do to control my scent (I usually use scent shield products):
- After every 8-10 sits I wash all clothes (camo, long johns, jeans, t-shirts, sweatshirts, hats, gloves, socks, underwear, ect.) in scent shield laundry detergent. Clothes are then air-dryed outside (a good distance away from the house).
- All above clothes are stored in activated-carbon bags inside of rubbermaid tubs which are stored in the porch of my cabin (away from the highest concentration of human scent).
- Before every sit I shower using scent shield hair and body soap.
- After above shower I "gel" my entire body with scent shield hair and body deoderant, use arm&hammer unscented deoderant on the underarms, and brush teeth with baking soda toothpaste.
- As i dress, I spray all layers with scent shield clothes spray (including boots, hat, gloves, face mask,safety harness, and pack). Dress immediatly before heading into the field.
- As soon as I get back to my cabin I immediatly undress and properly store clothes.

Doing all of this allows me to not worry about wind direction when afield. I still try, when possible, to hunt on the downwind side of the deer; but if the wind is wrong for my favorite stand then I have no worries about sitting it anyway. I have had about 22-25 sits this season and have yet to be winded (have seen at least a couple of deer almost every sit; many downwind).

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I just put my hunting clothes in a storage bin w/some cedar pieces. Thats all.
I think the whole "scent control" is a bunch of you know what. I mean my grandfather use to hunt up north, pitch a tent and get a fire going, cook all his meals in his hunting clothes which was wool pants and the old black and red checkered coat. He'd get a deer every year and never thought about his scent.
Guess I'm the same way.....but I do put my stuff w/some cedar, since I hunt in cedar swamps.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've noticed AWESOME results when I started going through the above procedure. When I didn't do anything almose every deer downwind would blow and stomp and spook. Now it is a very rare occasion when a deer winds me.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Buck Bass, I go thru a similar routine to yours. I also wear a Scent Lok suit and hood. I wear rubber boots that are sprayed down before every hunt. My Scent Lok suit is worn over my boots to keep any odors from coming out of the boots. I have not been winded for a long time.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I agree with CMR I take a shower every night. What did they use before scent control?

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
Gman, I agree that they didnt use all that stuff before and you can be very effective without it!!

A good shower using UNSCENTED soaps, and taking natural items like pines, oaks, leaves and dirt to mask your scent will work just fine.

I am a scent buff, and do alot of the things that BBass does, but it is over kill some times.

As long as I am successful I dont care what I have to do!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Oh, speaking of showers.......do NOT use Irish Spring soap!!! I know a farmer out in Ottawa County who use to get Irish Spring soap and put them out in certain areas of his field, the deer hate the smell and run away from it.

·
Super Moderator
11,080 Posts
I do a lot of the things mentioned in the preceding posts during archery season.

I am a lot less fanatical at camp during rifle season, mostly because we dont have all the comforts of home out in the woods. I wear my hunting clothes only to, from, and during the hunt. I store them including boots in bags with HS Earth Wafers. Try to get as clean as I can, as often as I can. I use scent free soap, and the disposable no scent wipes to touch up ...scent free deodorant is a must as well. I do the best that I can while at camp.

I think the use of a modern high powered rifle, sitting in a TSC blind, in an area with clear shooting lanes, more than tips the odds in my favor.

IMHO There is an inherent benefit to utilizing scent lock clothing, and scent products, as well as a scent control regimen. But I still enjoyed success hunting before all of the scents and suits became commonplace. I feel these products are 20% science and 80% marketing.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
I found scent control to be a good way to level the playing field between deer and humans. I do pretty much everything mentioned above and then some.

1. I place a dirt scent wafer in my bowcase with my bow
2. I place scent wafers on branches around my blind
3. I spray racoon scent on my rubber boots to help cover scent to and from my blind
4. Place scent wafers (dirt, cedar) pinned to my clothes while hunting

When my wife tells me I smell like dirt, I tell her "thank you!"

It might all be considered overkill, but I have yet to have a deer wind me with my total scent elimination system.

Oh and the posting about the red checkerd hunting outfit? I have my fathers red checkerd hunting outfit set aside for my daughter just in case she decides to hunt the traditional way someday! :)

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
I too try to get rid of soap smell. I know an orchard owner that repels deer from his baby apple trees with Ivory soap stuck to them. If I cant get to a shower or run out of scent spray I stand aroudn the campfire with my hunting clothes on and let them get real smoky.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I use the scent loc,shower and rubber boots,all in a tupperware container.i spray with unscented cover spray.use no scents as far as doe in heat.just hunt trying to be scent free as possible.have yet to be winded since starting this. IT DOES WORK. i get past the does every time

1 - 11 of 11 Posts