Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was an earlier thread regarding scent control. Excellent replies BTW.

Rather than trying to reduce scent, what if you tried to overwhelm your scent with smoke i.e. hang your hunting clothes downwind of a campfire. I'm sure deer are use to wood burners and fires.

What's the flaw in my logic?:confused:

·
Registered
403 Posts
In southern Michigan, I don't know if it would work. However, I know my friend's grandpa used to hang his hunting clothes downwind of his wood burner, and the deer never seemed to notice him. It should be noted that this was in the Northern Lower Penninsula, later in the season, and he hunted within 100yds. of his house.

·
Tornado Jim
19,989 Posts
My favorite form of scent control is to be downwind of the Deer :)
Wind is a funny thing. On opening morning this year I was sitting on my ladder stand in a giant oak tree. It was gusty, and when the wind gusted through my area the leaves shot off towards the east. About 10 seconds later, I would hear the wind rushing again but this time it was about 100 yards to my south and the leaves were blowing off the tree due west!

I watched this for quite a while and realized that it was getting turned by a hill and tree line and actually eddying backwards towards an area of thick woods. This was my first time hunting this spot so I am glad the conditions were just right so I could figure out this wind pattern

I recently heard Neil Douherty give a talk on this issue. He has made wind maps of his property and he shows slides of the amazing twists and turns created by wind as it moves over the terrain. A buck who wanted to check my area out in that tree could simply move to my southwest, and wait for the wind to turn back into his location, carrying my scent with it. He would then know my approximate location.

Partly because of head to toe scent control, I was able to avoid the detection of 13 does and fawns, and one buck, all of whom came within 20 yards of me to eat acorns, and all of whom came from that southwest direction, with two exceptions, that came from due south. I have to assume all the adults knew the wind patterns and checked it out before entering my space. I suspect that if I were not using scent reduction techniques, I may have seen fewer or none. Because really, even though the wind was coming from the west, they were coming upwind from the west because of the current eddy. None came from upwind of the prevailing wind (from the east), because the ground was a much more open fen area.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
There was an earlier thread regarding scent control. Excellent replies BTW.

Rather than trying to reduce scent, what if you tried to overwhelm your scent with smoke i.e. hang your hunting clothes downwind of a campfire. I'm sure deer are use to wood burners and fires.

What's the flaw in my logic?:confused:

Here's my take on scent and it comes from alot of experience, not only from hunting, but also from monitoring my food plots 8 hours a day 5-7 days a week.

Deer decipher and determine the danger of scent by its intensity. The closer the source for the scent, the more intense it is... If the source is close and intense, they either become cautious or avoid the area all together.. If the scent is far away, the scent molecules aren't as strong and they are less dense. Deer know that so if the source is far away, it rarely bothers them... That why a deer eating in a field isnt bothered by the fumes of the car, even if they are down wind.

Deer can also associate danger by the amount of noise made by the source. They do that because they learned that predators don't make noise and sneak up on their pray... For example, I cant sit in my yard and play volley ball with my family, yell and scream and the deer will stay in the food plot like they could care less.. BUT, if I'm out there by myself, and I don't make any noise, they associate me as a predator and leave real fast.. That's why when I'm out scouting or hunting I don't try to be real quite anymore.. How many times have you made noise walking to your stand during the rut and with-in minutes or even seconds a buck shows up? That's because what-ever noise they hear cant be a predator so there's a real good chance its a Doe so they come to check it out... That's why deer don't seem to be bothered by a tractor either. Obviously if the tractor gets close they will spook but they come right back because they know it wasn't a predator.

·
Tornado Jim
19,989 Posts
That's why deer don't seem to be bothered by a tractor either. Obviously if the tractor gets close they will spook but they come right back because they know it wasn't a predator.
I had a farmer friend years ago tell me they think a tractor is just a big noisy animal that eats lots of food and never shoots at them:lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
241 Posts
i smoke when i hunt everytime i go.. see deer everytime and they dont seem to care about it.. 2 different smoke scents to be exact ;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am experimenting with the Scent Smoker this year. I have always done the scent free thing, but heard about this product and thought I would give it a try. So far it seems to work fairly well.

BDG

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's my take on scent and it comes from alot of experience, not only from hunting, but also from monitoring my food plots 8 hours a day 5-7 days a week.

Deer decipher and determine the danger of scent by its intensity. The closer the source for the scent, the more intense it is... If the source is close and intense, they either become cautious or avoid the area all together.. If the scent is far away, the scent molecules aren't as strong and they are less dense. Deer know that so if the source is far away, it rarely bothers them... That why a deer eating in a field isnt bothered by the fumes of the car, even if they are down wind.
I agree with that Codybear, but for a deer to gauge a distance, he needs to know two things A) The amount of scent the danger puts out B) how much it dissipates based on the winds speed. If he smells smoke, is it a small campfire 200 yards away or a bonfire over a mile away? Plus, he needs to associate that smell with danger.

I wonder if a deers nose can pick out the human scent molecules with smoke mixed in or would the smoke mask it enough. If seen fox urine advertised for (what I assume) is a cover scent. But I've always thought that kind of stuff would alert the deer and force him to determine 'whats that smell and is it going to kill me'.

Maybe I'll try it out one of these days.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Have not tried it, but I know the Indians(native americans) used smoke as cover scent. I am sure if they did it then it must have been effective, as they knew more about there game then any modern day biologist.:Dlol

·
Banned
4,318 Posts
Good luck with that. Go into stateland or southern private and I dont think that it will work very well. If they are up wind they are up wind and prolly wont wind you. Downwind and you smell like smoke, well I wouldnt imagine they would like that to much. I'd stay with the scent free and hunt high, over 20ft. I have seen just in the last 2 days, over 40 deer, 7 or 8 being bucks, close to 100 deer on season and havent been winded....that I saw. Alot of the deer yesterday were actign weird and out of pattern they did the oppositte of what they normally do at night, and were all downwind, never had a clue could have short 80% of over 20 deer. JUst my 2 cents hunt high and dont stink:) plus scent lock.

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
You can fool the immature deer by doing that, but a trophy buck never...

so would you blow the buck of a lifetime on poor preparation?

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I believe trying to be totally scentless is the way to go....I believe that anything that stinks is a tip off for the deer that something may not be right......

·
Banned
17 Posts
I have been wanting to try this (smoke/scent smoker), but I am too much of a chicken after being a scent control fanatic for so long.

·
Registered
131 Posts
What you are talking about is basically using smoke odor as a "cover scent" One observation on the effectiveness of cover scents leads me to strongly doubt their utility. A few years ago in the Yukon on a sheep hunt, I mentioned cover scents to my guide who had never heard of them. He laughed and related a story of a hunter he had guided on a grizzly hunt. They were observing a grizzly from a distance of about 200 yards with the wind in their face. The bear was feeding on an old rotting moose gut pile that was putrid and about two weeks old. Suddenly the wind shifted and they felt it on the back of their neck. Instantly the bear jerked his head up with rotting entrails hanging from his mouth, turned and ran like hell!

That bear was able to detect human odor from 200 yards away with a snoot full of one of the strongest "cover scents" I could imagine. I suspect that when deer smell someone with cover scents he smells the stench of a human mixed in with the odor of fox urine, or dirt or whatever. I also read an article by Chuck Adams who has a lot of experience with scents. He also characterized the theory behind cover scents as "baloney". Adams did feel, however, that attractant scents did appear to work on occasion.

Your best bet is to stay as scent free as possible and stay down wind!

·
Banned
17 Posts
I agree cover scents are baloney. Most, if not all, animals are able to separate scents from one another. What intrigues me is the bacteria killing/reducing properties of the smoke itself. Adding it to a human scent reducing routine could prove very, very effective.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Adding it to a human scent reducing routine could prove very, very effective.
I was also thinking it may help in addition to scent reduction and smart wind decisions. With Ramhunter's story about the bear, I'm thinking you'll never be totally 'invisible', but as someone mentioned earlier, they may wind you but think you're farther away then you actually are.

I followed the 'November Sunrise' links and apparently I'm not the 1st to think of this (dangit). A couple of those Ohio boys swear by it.

·
Registered
470 Posts
if you asked me 1-10 how scent cautious are you id have to go with a 15.....and some say its BS and thats fine everyone is in-titled to there own opinion.... but what iv been doing seems to work for a good few years now....I have deer come from straight down wind of me and not even aware of me being there... just like anything else in life... if ya pay attention and are aware of the small things.... the pay off in the end is just that much sweeter...

GoodLuck to all and besafe this fall/winter & shoot straight

EV

1 - 20 of 29 Posts