Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure some are aware of this project, others may not be. I'm not sure where its at, but just the thought of this development progressing scares me awake at night...What a Pristine section of river to ruin.....

Check this link out and just the load of bull written here, 25+ pound Steelhead, this guy is so full of BS and he's selling it bigtime...
http://www.newaygoriverbank.com/content/view/31/27/

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Yikes, I would hope Mr. Supinski has the river's best intrest in mind.

"Construction is planned to begin this spring on roads and infrastructure, with lodge construction to follow."

Sounds like the ball is already rolling,

Where exactly is this?

Mitch

·
Woods and Water Rat
20,729 Posts
25+ pound steelhead?! You MO guys been holding back. I wanna hear more about that :lol: .
So much for truth in advertising.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Anyone who lives or visits the area before land is cleared or construction begins a Storm Water Permit should be posted on the site. This permit is a requirement of the Mich. EPD overseen by the US EPD. You should be able to contact state officals to find out if a permit has been issued for this site. The permit requires a erosion control plan, montering of the site erosion control practices, and carries a maxium of $10,000 dollar fine per day for every violation. This same thing happened on the White and Norfork rivers in Arkansas. Don't let it happen here.

·
Registered
7,175 Posts
I wonder how this project can make it.

The State of Michigan has the lowest hotel occupancy of any state in the country the last two years. Beyond that Michigan has the worst economy in the country.

There is a singular draw to Newaygo that being the Muskegon River. A river only 45 minutes from the second largest city in the state. I would love to see the feasability study on this project, along with the banker signing the note.

I would also be curious if they have contacted Great Wolf Lodge and Bay Harbor Resort to see how occupancy levels are at destination resorts in our state.

I honestly dont see this project being able to get off the ground with out a lot of private money and I mean a lot of private money. I dont have a lot of back ground on this project, but from a cash flow stand point, I dont see how it can make it. There is not a lot of industry in Newago to support the price of the housing, with gas at record highs, I dont see it working as a comuter city to GR. The state of Michigan already has established Tourism Markets that are much more diverse then Newaygo County (not a knock on Newaygo County just the facts). I dont see it becoming a tourist destination beyond what that great river has to offer.

As far as the pictures on the site, I love the trail creek shot....Give me a break.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Steelheadfred said:
As far as the pictures on the site, I love the trail creek shot....Give me a break.
Funny you said that...

I followed the link to Mr. Supinski's site and found this beauty.

For sure a fish to be proud of! The point of the hook is inside the mouth, that's close enough isn't it?

:lol:

Mitch

·
Premium Member
7,269 Posts
Mitch said:
Funny you said that...

For sure a fish to be proud of! The point of the hook is inside the mouth, that's close enough isn't it?

Mitch
Looks like that one fell victim to the old rangeline twitch...LOL

BTW, I could be wrong but since when has Newaygo had a huntable elk population?
http://www.newaygoriverbank.com/content/view/32/26/

·
Registered
672 Posts
fly fisherman have deep pockets. with an orvis endorsed lodge on the mo people will flock to it. these people have the money to fish anywere they want, and they will.
yes the river will be harmed forever, yes newaygo will suffer, but a few will become rich at the expense of the poor. it seems to be the american way.
if you build it they will come. its that simple.

:rant: :rant: MONEY=POWER:rant: :rant:
sad but true

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
bombcast said:
An Orvis-endorsed old folks home? ***?
When my wife gets tired of changing my Depends and puts me in the Orvis endorsed "progressive care facility", those young whippersnappers on the "Shooting" clays course better not make too much noise:lol:

Butch

p.s. by the way, in the game of "shooting clays", do the clay pigeons shoot back?

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
I have my doubts. I know this is a bad idea.
As for real estate selling in Newaygo County; in general is as bad as it has ever been including times of high interest rates in the early 80's.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
well, think about it this way. There is NO WAY this thing will be successful, so it could end up being being the Ruination of the Combover.

·
Registered
7,175 Posts
no lead said:
fly fisherman have deep pockets. with an orvis endorsed lodge on the mo people will flock to it. these people have the money to fish anywere they want, and they will.
yes the river will be harmed forever, yes newaygo will suffer, but a few will become rich at the expense of the poor. it seems to be the american way.
if you build it they will come. its that simple.

:rant: :rant: MONEY=POWER:rant: :rant:
sad but true

Michigan is considered a drivable destination for tourists. It is not considered a "fly to destination" so the people you speak of will continue to flock to Mt, Chile, AK, and the West Coast where the fishing is better. They wont fly into GR for a week at this Lodge. At least I dont think so.

The note or mortgage on this place is going to be out of this world, as will the asking price for residential. The folks that have money will continue to go other places.

So this resorts feeder cities will be Detroit, GR, Chicago, Cleveland, Cinci, ext....all these cities for the most part our in economic depressions....

·
Banned
89 Posts
Mitch said:
Funny you said that...

Mitch
mitch that would be the infamous "slow strip" performed to perfection. funny part is if you're willing to put in time and not bonk fish you can get them to bite, but he chooses not to

·
Banned
89 Posts
Steelheadfred said:
Michigan is considered a drivable destination for tourists. It is not considered a "fly to destination" so the people you speak of will continue to flock to Mt, Chile, AK, and the West Coast where the fishing is better. They wont fly into GR for a week at this Lodge. At least I dont think so.

The note or mortgage on this place is going to be out of this world, as will the asking price for residential. The folks that have money will continue to go other places.

So this resorts feeder cities will be Detroit, GR, Chicago, Cleveland, Cinci, ext....all these cities for the most part our in economic depressions....
chicago is in an economic depression??? you haven't been to this side of the lake in a while. urban sprawl is a MF and you can see it first hand here in the chicagoland bigtime. the problem IMO is now another program is being dumped by the dnr(seforellean) and they want to double the liscense fees to generate more $$$. sorry guys tourists and out of staters arent going to put $$ into the dnr when they dont see any $$ goin into any of the programs.

·
Registered
7,175 Posts
locallegendry said:
chicago is in an economic depression??? you haven't been to this side of the lake in a while. urban sprawl is a MF and you can see it first hand here in the chicagoland bigtime. the problem IMO is now another program is being dumped by the dnr(seforellean) and they want to double the liscense fees to generate more $$$. sorry guys tourists and out of staters arent going to put $$ into the dnr when they dont see any $$ goin into any of the programs.
OK Maybe Chicago is the exception to the rule, the other manufacturing economies in the Mid West are hurting.

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
Rumor has it most of this project is being funded by NFL pension money as an investment. I think there will be a lot of po'd NFL retiree's looking for Matt after this tanks.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts