Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I would put this in the shotgun forum, but I know a bunch of you use them, and use them alot.
I'm looking for an all around auto. I do not waterfowl hunt but I would like to start. I really like the feel and handling of the SBE II, specifically in the satin walnut version. This gun would be used for clays, upland, and hopefully ducks/geese. I guess my only question would be how this gun handles lighter loads?

I will eventually add a Citori for upland/clays but I can't afford both at the same time. I have an 870 Special Purpose that can handle anything but it is not ideal for uplands or clays.

As for autos, I would probably stick to the "B" guns but I like wood. (I know it is a compromise for a working gun) The Maxus Hunter is beautiful but too shiny for a working waterfowl gun. I have not shot the Berettas but they don't seem to feel/fit right to me for whatever reason.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Have a SBE II and have had no issues with light loads. It has been a great all around gun when needed. Mostly dedicated to fowl these days. All of my SBE have handled all loads very well for what its worth.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I have shot an SBE II ever since they first came out. Some guys may have different experiences with their guns but mine doesn't like to cycle low brass shells. Even to this day after hundreds if not thousands of magnum waterfowl and turkey loads, it still won't cycle low brass target shells for report or true pairs (I just shot a round of sporting clays a week ago). I will say for a field gun it has been the most reliable gun I have owned.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
421 Posts
I've shot plenty of light loads through my SBE II. never had any sort of cycling problems. Only issue I've had with my gun is the Benelli "click" from the bolt not slamming shut properly, and that's only happened once after walking through some standing corn. I feel it's a great shotgun

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
I love mine. Any shell anytime. I run hundreds of rounds through mine. After mine gets a few hundred rounds and a few good soakings, it needs a cleaning or it will occasionally hang up on a shell. Mine right now is super dirty from gun powder residue, plus I just air dry mine. I run it every day dirty. Tough gun

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
I've had no issues as well with light loads. I do question your choice of wood if your going to water fowl hunt. They take a beating out in the elements.
But, to each there own. I also have a Stoeger before the SBE 2.....the click happens due to the firing pin not striking the shell primer hard enough.

Now that was with the Stoeger, never had it happen with the SBE 2....
I do now keep my SBE 2 trigger assy, very clean and lubed....

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
They are a inertia driven system. It is up to you to make sure that the gun is mounted properly to insure you get a good shell ejection. And yes you need to watch out for the "Benelli Click". I have a habit of making sure it is fully closed and in the correct position.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I've been having stovepipe issues and also having the second or third shell sit in the carrier with the bolt open. Not every time, but often enough to cost me birds. This has happened with 1oz skeet loads and 1 1/4 oz 3" Kent Faststeels plus 3.5" Blackclouds. It did work fine with a very limited amount of shooting 1 1/8oz factory trap loads.

I've torn this gun down to springs and screws cleaning it. I've cleaned the mag tube and and the recoil spring tube as well as the spring. Everything has been very lightly lubricated. It's still having issues. So I replaced the recoil spring with an aftermarket Wolff +25% spring. The action works with more authority, but the problem is still occurring. :mad:

I'm giving it one more chance tomorrow morning. Otherwise I'll be shooting a Beretta 400 next season. :smile-mad

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I have had a few light loads hold up but that was before using militec. After I applied the new oil....no problems since....highly recommend a SBE 2

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
85 Posts
I shoot sporting clays often with my Franchi I-12. Same inertia system as the SBE II. I have yet to have a problem cycling light loads after 3 years of waterfowl / clays.

Sent from my XT907 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
783 Posts
I shoot clays every weekend in the off season and have no issues with the light loads. I highly recommend the SBEII. Mine has had thousands of rounds through it shooting ducks, geese, turkey's, and clays and still shoots as good as new.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
I've been having stovepipe issues and also having the second or third shell sit in the carrier with the bolt open. Not every time, but often enough to cost me birds. This has happened with 1oz skeet loads and 1 1/4 oz 3" Kent Faststeels plus 3.5" Blackclouds. It did work fine with a very limited amount of shooting 1 1/8oz factory trap loads.

I've torn this gun down to springs and screws cleaning it. I've cleaned the mag tube and and the recoil spring tube as well as the spring. Everything has been very lightly lubricated. It's still having issues. So I replaced the recoil spring with an aftermarket Wolff +25% spring. The action works with more authority, but the problem is still occurring. :mad:

I had same problem for some years. I haven't been the best on cleaning it though. My issue did resolve with cleaning the gun after couple of trips.
I like my gun quite a bit, just have to keep on maintenance.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Zero problems with my SBE II shooting anything from dove loads to 3.5" turkey loads. I've owned this gun for about 6 years and shoot about a 1,000 rounds per year through it. No issues.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Go hold a bunch of guns and make a purchase based upon feel and your style of swing. Just because its the best gun on the market does not mean its the best gun for you. Being said I shoot a xtrema 2 and love it. I've had it for about 7 years and no problems cycling rounds of any size or firing. I've even dropped it in the swamp one morning and finaly got it out about 30 min later and used it the rest of the day with no problems. The only gun I have ever had problems with is my browning gold 10 gauge I will never recommend that gun to anyone.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
331 Posts
I HAD a sbe II keyword had. They kick like a mule no matter what load you use. And mine wouldn't cycle shells half the time no matter what size or load. Also it would freeze if t got any water on it in the late season. So I did it and went back to my SX2. no problems with that like usual. IMO I would buy a SX3

Sent from my XT1056 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
I have shot an SBE II ever since they first came out. Some guys may have different experiences with their guns but mine doesn't like to cycle low brass shells. Even to this day after hundreds if not thousands of magnum waterfowl and turkey loads, it still won't cycle low brass target shells for report or true pairs (I just shot a round of sporting clays a week ago). I will say for a field gun it has been the most reliable gun I have owned.

Have you cleaned the recoil spring? No reason that gun shouldn't cycle 1 1/8 oz loads..if they're lighter then that's on you

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have an SBE2 I bought back in 2004 or 2005. I am on my second recoil spring and after this season will be on number 3(side note:don't buy surecycle junk, buy factory benelli parts) No idea on round count but enough to wear out 2 recoil springs. I have not had a lick of trouble once the gun got broken in. For what ever reason the gun would not cycle 3.5" out of the box. It would eject the spent case then start moving forward before the next shell was out of the mag. Since then the gun has run like a deere. I have 4 12 ga in the safe and if you said pick one, I would pick the benelli every day of the week and twice on sunday.

My only concern is why are they some much money for how simple they are?

Edit: I have run kent and federal 3.5" waterfowl loads all the way down to 7/8oz 1100 fps reloads though mine(although it takes a waterfowl season before sub 1 oz loads will cycle on a new spring)

·
Registered
10,820 Posts
For what your doing I would go with an M2.. With Benellis small bore diameter you are probably not gaining much with the 3.5 and the 3 inch gun would probably provide some small insurance to run the gamut of shells..

1 - 20 of 30 Posts