Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks! Just got registered. Been in Michigan for going on 5 winters now. 5 years in Tennessee before this. Los Angeles native used to small rainbows. Job moved me twice including this one to Michigan.
Been fly-fishing a little over the years and decided last year to dedicate to it. I catch a lot of pan fish and a few trout but work really got in the way for time off... Getting better though now-days. I got a nice Orvis gift card from my wife for xmas and got some new gear. Waders. Boots. 8 wt rod. 8 wt. reel (both budget-range Orvis) and a book on Steelhead. Please wish me luck as I get into this more. Got some running line and slinkys too. Gotta figure out some technique now...
Any suggestions on a winter guides and prices please? I used to hunt year round in Tennessee so Michigan winters aren't too scary (yet)... I just have to get out there soon and make a few mistakes so I can start the learning process! I had no idea how much I don't know....
See ya and thanks if you have any tips...

· Premium Member
9,797 Posts
Welcome David. You can do a search through the site for past threads on fly tying and fishing.

I myself am more knowledgeable (not much though;) ) and like the tying aspect slightly more than the fishing part. Don't get me wrong, I fish, I'm just not real good at it. If I can help you with anything let me know.

If you need help with rods, lines, tippets, etc.....there are plenty here who are more knowledgeable and will help you out.

Here's an article regarding techniques for Chuck and Duck vs. Indicator fishing. This should get you started.

C&D vs. Indy fishing

Enjoy.

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tried a few times with a home made vise a few years ago. When we were in Tennessee, I raised quail, pheasant, turkey and chickens...all were pets but enjoyed lots of fresh eggs. Anyways, I had all these various feathers with different patterns and tried a few flies of my own. Had zero training though. Some funny looking things came off that clamp! I did catch a few bass and bluegill down there with one made of pheasant tail feathers and brown thread from my wife's sewing box!
I could get into tieing I think.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.