Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out to some private land after work tonight for the last 1/2 hour or so of the day. About 2 minutes after I got into my tent blind, I heard something form the edge of the property, but the road noise from Knapp kept me from hearing much more. About 5-10 minutes later as I'm looking at the high weeds in the West, I barely make out the distinct outline of a deer head. At first I thought am I making a few weeds look like a doe head? Then it turned, yeehaaa, my first doe of the year, at least while I had a bow in my hand.

Anyway, she stayed there looking at the tent for a few minutes before coming in slowly, the whole way, she wouldn't take her eyes off the tent. I sat there totally motionless and keep; in mind, I still had dress pants on, the only thing I did was put on my camo coat and hood, so I was getting chilled quick. She comes in and starts to eat the corn that I threw out about a week ago and the whole time she keeps her head in my direction. Suddenly I see another figure coming through the weeds, oh, she has a young one with her, looked to be a decent size. She looks at the tent again. Then about 25 seconds later another figure comes out of the weeds. Great, now I got 6 eyes to worry about.

Well the yearlings kept eating and were totally oblivious to my presence. The doe would occasionally look in my direction. She turned slightly sideways, quartering toward me, still no shot. She kept that stance until I could no longer shoot and that one yearling stayed behind her the whole time. There I was with enough light to see them, by this time, my fingers and legs were absolutely frozen. I wondered, how long are they going to stand there, how the heck am I going to get out of here and thaw out? Then my cell phone rings under my coat. WHAAAAAAT, I forgot to leave it in my car, well it couldn't have happend at a better time, because with a couple loud snorts, the doe took off and the two yearlings, kept on eating for the next 5 seconds before they bolted too. I quietly got out of the tent and walked back to my car, anxious to get it started so I could get some feeling in my legs and fingers.

I was glad to finally see something on this private land. I haven't seen anything since a 6pt came trotting in on one of those high wind days back in November, but moved too quickly for me to get a shot off. With a few weeks left, I now feel better. Maybe I won't go venisonless this year. I'm just worried about the phone giving me away. But she was there for 20 minutes or so eating in peace. Maybe she'll be back tomorrow night.

·
Registered
5,751 Posts
She will be back don't worry.......

·
Registered
775 Posts
Actually the cell phone is a very good thing to have on you while in the woods. I just keep mine on vibrate mode! You never know when you will need a cell phone, people get injured or lost in the woods and cell phones are a great tool.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Ya gotta love those scenarios when deer are out in front of ya and ya can't move. There's always SOMETHING that drives ya nuts. Maybe your nose is running, or you're trying to stifle a cough, or ya gotta take a crap, or an itch is driving ya crazy, whatever. We've all been there, and it's one of those frustrating pieces of the game that we think back on and smile, and can't wait to experience again. Deer hunters gotta be among the world's great masochists.

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I always take my cel with me on State land, but the private land is not big, so I just leave it in the truck. I did let my nose run over my scentlok hood. I didn't want to risk scaring them with a sniff, or the movement of wiping. I'm going out there again tonight. With all this new snow, about 7-8", I hope they rememebr where the corn is. THis is the first time, I've used bait this year. I figured, after passing on a tiny 4pt, not being able to get the "snort Wheeze" buck to come out for a shot and not being able to take the 6pt that came in so fast on a windy day and left just as fast, it was time to lure in some does for that last ditch effort to put at least one deer in the freezer. All those bucks will be bigger next year and at least I now know where they are.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts