Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was reading the Lowell Buyers Guide tonight and found an ad for Saving the Morning doves. Just to let you know that the anti's are out there trying to drum up support also. If you haven't called, written, or emailed your Representatives, do it ASAP.

Save the Doves

·
Registered
286 Posts
Why? Just not what you would want to do? Too closly related to pigeons? Not enough meat for one bird? curious, that's all. I buy my sportsman's license every year, but hardly go fishing, just can't sit there and not catch anything so I don't fish much unless I know I am going to catch something.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
This is why michigan will never have a dove season. When hunters and fishermen don't base their attitudes on science and conservation but on likes and dislikes.

Last time this was seriously attempted too many deer hunters said "who would want to shoot a dove"

Don't blame the antis there are too few of them, blame your fellow sportsmen and women who can't see past their own likes and dislikes.

IF the 1 million deer hunter or 3 million fishermen of this state wanted a dove season we would have it.

Facts:

The most hunted bird in north america : mourning dove

The number of states with seasons : 38

Number of doves in the US : 500 million

Number harvested every year: 40-50 million

every dove that is raised in michigan is hunted in every state as it migrates south.

IF anyone can give me facts as to why we shouldn't have a season I would love to hear them.

Oh well this is no longer my fight as I am relocating to missouri and will be hunting doves from september 1st on.

·
Registered
99 Posts
What fun is there in watching a bird feeder and waiting for doves to land on it and shoot them? Why don't we just have robin, cardinal, and finch season while we're at it?:eek:

·
Registered
35,299 Posts
There's room for all God's creatures, right next to the mashed potatoes. :D

If eat your kill and not use them for target practice, I see no reason to not have a season.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I got a C Note - As in $100 bill that says . . . you go to Indiana with me on September 1 and I bet you can't hit 25% of the doves you shoot at. Let's go if you really think there's no challenge to it.

. . .If you had even the first clue about dove hunting you wouldn't have made that bird feeder comment.

·
Registered
75 Posts
fred bear 50:
when we get a dove season i just invited you to come to zeeland and hunt in my cornfield for doves i walk my dog every day and in the fall it would be just like the good old days for pheasants you have a dog crossing and all of a sudden 5 birds are coming out of the corn it will be great and then you can help with putting up nest platforms in the tree row for next year or you can sit on the couch and try to understand why people hunt and i will invite someone else.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
freddy

You may want to do some reseach on Dove hunting. If your idea of dove hunting is shooting them off of a bird feeder you have no clue what dove hunting is about. I am hoping that you were saying that tongue in cheek.

I would guarantee you couldn't hit 10% of the birds if you went with flyer, Lunker, or zeboy.

·
Registered
9,594 Posts
You know, I don't like to get into these "your kind of hunting is dumb" discussions, but fredbear50, the bird feeder comment has convinced me I should.

I'm assuming that you never use bait for deer Fred. And if you don't, you must be a recurve shooter. No, gee, what sport is that? Wow, I hope you don't shoot does, too. Let's take the high road here guys.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
The good old backyard birdfeeder what an excuse to use for not having a season. I have more Rabbits, pheasants, an every once in a while turkey in there than doves, but there are seasons on those. That shows the mentality of the lazy antis, something has to come to them. There are all kinds of ways to hunt doves, flushing, pass shooting,decoying, and even dogs. Sorry thats just a P#$$ poor excuse. Baydog

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Ive never even seen anyone even talk about shooting off a bird feeder. We go to state game areas or farm feilds and wait till they fly by and I dont know how fast but they are Very fast!

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
if we decided what we could or couldn't hunt based on what comes to a bird feeder, fall would be pretty short. no more deer, turkey, duck, goose, grouse, racoon or squirrel hunting anymore.

look i don't know for sure that i would be out dove hunting if we do get a season. but i will tell you this, i will give it a try and if i like it fine otherwise good luck to those that do. not everyone bow hunts but that does not mean we should stop bow hunting.

one other thing to think about,

how many young kids can we bring into the fold if we had a fast and plentiful game bird for them to hunt that can still be found close to urban areas and in the fields of near by farms? this could actually be the future of our sport that we are talking about here.

·
Super Moderator
37,512 Posts
Originally posted by Lunker
Ive never even seen anyone even talk about shooting off a bird feeder. We go to state game areas or farm feilds and wait till they fly by and I dont know how fast but they are Very fast!
And the flight is erratic. I find doves to be very humbling when I go through a box of shells for 5 birds.:eek:

·
Registered
635 Posts
My guess is Fred Bear 50 is an Anti here posing as a hunter.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Alright guys,
I know that you don't hunt doves from a bird feeder. I know that hunters usually sit in fields or near farm ponds and wait for the birds to fly over and shoot at them. I also realize that these fast flying birds are very difficult to hit and i'm sure i'd miss my share of them. OK. I'm not an anti. I do use bait for deer hunting. I do shoot does. I don't use a recurve bow. I was just trying to say with my previous message that dove hunting doesn't sound that challenging or time consuming (besides trying to hit them when they're flying) compared to other game that is hunted in Michigan. Sorry for offending all of you dove hunters and thanks for the invites from everyone.
-Fred
PS Some of you guys seem to have come up with some pretty childish responses (including my own post concerning dove hunting) to my post. How do you plan on proving to people opposed to dove hunting that it should be a legal gamebird in Michigan? I'm pretty sure responses like "he's an anti" and "i bet you couldn't hit 10% of the doves" is not going to win antis and undecided people's votes over for dove hunters.

·
Registered
35,299 Posts
I don't consider hitting just 10% an insult for a first time dove hunter. Twice that for a seasoned hunter is not a bad day.

I would love to see Michigan have a dove season.

I also would like to see a sharptail grouse season. I see more of them than ruffed grouse and phesants combined.

·
Registered
185 Posts
It's not just anti-hunters fueled by propaganda from PETA; Just plain old everyday folks who do not hunt don't like the idea of a dove season. There is a difference between anti- and non-hunters. The former of course are beyond all hope; the latter we can get through to, on some issues.

A couple of letters to the editor (in a special wildlife section) of todays State Journal (8/26) seem to have been written by people who just can't understand the need... And a dove hunting season might just push them over the edge into the Anti's camp.

Spare me, please, all the great benefits of dove hunting. It's not me you need to convince.

·
Registered
302 Posts
There are 5800 plus members on this board, and I can't see any harm if there's a little action supporting the addition of mourning doves to the Natural Resources and Environmental Protection Act to include them on the list of approved game animals in Michigan. You misunderstand your importance if you think that any effort is directed toward you in particular. Since you're a recent arrival around here, or have been away, you might cool your jets and show a little respect for the interests of other participants of this board. If the current effort to add this Michigan resource to our hunting opportunities bothers you, I suggest that you get over it, or read something else.

:confused:

1 - 20 of 60 Posts