Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone see the article in the paper about the two women who hung garbage bags in the trees to ward of the waterfowl so the hunters wouldn't shoot them?They did just that and more,they interfeered with property owners hunting around them,they are facing $1,000 fine and/or 90 day jail time for hunter harrasment. Amen to the guy who called on them.The women said they save wounded birds and release them on there eight acres and didn't want hunters shooting them on their land.
Boehr, they also stated that the dnr only hands out about 20 harrasment tickets a year.Is this true to your knowledge? Seems it would be alot higher with all the anti's around.Is the dnr leanient on this issue?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I hope they get the fine, but 90 days in jail seems like a long time. I would think that there are way more than 20 tickets. Maybe not.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I hope they get the fine, but 90 days in jail seems like a long time. I would think that there are way more than 20 tickets. Maybe not.

------------------
Time to get those reels back in the water, and catch some BIG fish!

·
Banned
11,839 Posts
It would not surprise me that there were only abot 20 tickets a year but I can't say that for a fact. The act of harassment is easier said than proving beyond a reasonable doubt in court. I investigated a harassment case when I was still working the field, in my opinion it was an open and shut case, prosecutor issued the warrant, had a trial, jury found the guy not guilty. How you ask? Wish I knew, still to this day can't figure it out.

Don't know all the details you cited above but if those bags where on the women's property, doubt there will be a conviction. But, like I said, I don't know all the details either.

I know there was one one ticket issued for harassment this year in District 12. On complaints, the person won't testify or change their mind most of the time. Normally, on private property between neighbors. You don't hear to much about it happening on public lands, easier to prove what the intent was.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts