Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a new Model 11 bolt action on Friday. I was sighting it in on Saturday. The bolt must not be seating right. The shell primer is separating from the shell. When I tried to remove the bolt, it became stuck and won't move. I am thinking maybe a small piece of brass was become wedged somewhere.
Very frustrated, it is my first Savage. What would cause the primers to separate?
These are factory load Hornady Superformance GXM. My neighbor has the same rifle and was shooting the same ammo, out of the same box, with no problems.

Thanks
Ken

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Could be excessive headspace - Savage bbl nut design makes it super easy to adjust. If a new rifle this is a warranty claim and Savage should handle.
Take pix of your brass / primers and get in touch with Savage customer service with your rifle serial number.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I purchased a new Model 11 bolt action on Friday. I was sighting it in on Saturday. The bolt must not be seating right. The shell primer is separating from the shell. When I tried to remove the bolt, it became stuck and won't move. I am thinking maybe a small piece of brass was become wedged somewhere.
Very frustrated, it is my first Savage. What would cause the primers to separate?
These are factory load Hornady Superformance GXM. My neighbor has the same rifle and was shooting the same ammo, out of the same box, with no problems.

Thanks
Ken
It's most likely the ammo. A Savage rep was out to the range a few years back & over half of the guns had the same problem. That ammo is to hot for some guns. My 10fp had the same problem as the new ones did.

·
Registered
237 Posts
What was the cause determined to be? I don't suspect the ammo is the issue. I doubt Hornady would produce anything that exceeds standard specs for a given cartridge.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
It's most likely the ammo. A Savage rep was out to the range a few years back & over half of the guns had the same problem. That ammo is to hot for some guns. My 10fp had the same problem as the new ones did.
Hot ammo can flatten or burst primers but cant decap them from the case in a bolt rifle unless headspace is out of spec. Maybe a few .001"s but sounds like the OP has a much bigger separation ?

Curious what the outcome was myself.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Hot ammo can flatten or burst primers but cant decap them from the case in a bolt rifle unless headspace is out of spec. Maybe a few .001"s but sounds like the OP has a much bigger separation ?

Curious what the outcome was myself.
I don't have any problems like that with my reloads or other factory ammo.. I to am curious to the outcome.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Savage customer service was great. They wouldn't say what the problem was. All I was told was that they repaired, checked head space, fired it at the range and cleaned it.

I sighted it in on Saturday. It shoots great. I did find that it likes Winchester Supreme Ballistic Tips over any other ammo. The Hornady group was 4 to 5 inches at 100 yards. The Winchester group was 1 inch. I was shooting with a sled so it was a solid rest. In the book from Savage, it recommends Winchester Ballistic Tips.

Sorry for getting back late but I wanted to shoot it before I responded.

Ken

·
Registered
808 Posts
Savage customer service was great. They wouldn't say what the problem was. All I was told was that they repaired, checked head space, fired it at the range and cleaned it.

I sighted it in on Saturday. It shoots great. I did find that it likes Winchester Supreme Ballistic Tips over any other ammo. The Hornady group was 4 to 5 inches at 100 yards. The Winchester group was 1 inch. I was shooting with a sled so it was a solid rest. In the book from Savage, it recommends Winchester Ballistic Tips.

Sorry for getting back late but I wanted to shoot it before I responded.

Ken
Good deal, good luck hunting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts