Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally sighted in my new Savage 220, and it loved the Federal trophy copper solid 2-3/4" rounds I put thru it. Gun was bore sighted with my Leupold VX-1 3-9x scope, and I shot at 50yds.

Shot 1: 2" low and 4" right of bullseye
Shot 2: Adjusted scope to much as I was 2" high and 2" left of bullseye
Shot 3: Bullseye
Shot 4: Bullseye
Shot 5: Bullseye

Shots 3, 4, and 5 were 1/2" groups. Sorry, no photo of target, or chance to shoot at 100 yds. I was pressed for time since I went to Bald Mtn range during my lunch hour.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I love my 220! Sounds like yours is also sweet! No shotgun here, this is a .62 caliber rifle. For factory slugs mine likes 2 3/4" acutips. But @ $3.00/shot that's hard to swallow. This slug rifle is well worth Handloading for. :woohoo1:

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I just got a 220 in Monday. Waiting for my scope base to arrive and I will get the Nikon mounted and sighted in. Cant wait!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
450 Posts
I just bought the camo version 220 and should arrive to my FFL tomorrow. I picked up a picatinny scope mount and a set of Weaver low mounts. I have a Burris 3-9Xx40mm I plan on mounting for this year. If it works, great, if not I will probably go with a Nikon Slughunter next year.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Got the youth model for my girls with the Nikon 2-7x32. That set up will be what I'm saving for next year! Damn gun shoots like a rifle! Remington 2 3/4 accutips work great.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
As soon as this weather breaks I will put a few rounds down range. Cant wait!!

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Taking mine to the range tonight,

FYI- Meijer's has 2-3/4 accutip for 12.99 a box with a 5.00 a box mail in rebate, up to 4 boxes family

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Thanks for the info vans.

Got it close at 50 yards tonight. Will shoot sone more thid weekend. Very sweet shooter so far!

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Never thought I would be able to shoot a one inch square target at 100 yards. Savage 220 is for real.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I just bought the camo version 220 and should arrive to my FFL tomorrow. I picked up a picatinny scope mount and a set of Weaver low mounts. I have a Burris 3-9Xx40mm I plan on mounting for this year. If it works, great, if not I will probably go with a Nikon Slughunter next year.
I think the low mounts will be a problem with the bolt throw. Google 220F Scope mounting there is a ton of information out there on it. I just dont want you to run into a problem at the last minute.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Not really a need for a rail base. I used Warne maxima steel low rings and bases. The front base is the shorter extension base they make. I use the 3x9x40 Leupold Ultimateslam. Plenty of bolt clearance and plenty of barrel clearance. Much lower than using a rail mount. And its all steel this way. I have seen alloy rings and bases torn up by not much recoil or bumps.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Not really a need for a rail base. I used Warne maxima steel low rings and bases. The front base is the shorter extension base they make. I use the 3x9x40 Leupold Ultimateslam. Plenty of bolt clearance and plenty of barrel clearance. Much lower than using a rail mount. And its all steel this way. I have seen alloy rings and bases torn up by not much recoil or bumps.
Yeah That ;)

Same set-up as Ken but Zeiss Conquest. Pretty happy with the set-up. I see no need for a rail on this gun especially when this set up will get your scope lower and it's a much cleaner look.

·
Registered
84 Posts
A friend of mine recommended the 220 after he shot a buck last year at 190 yards. Since I experience chronic shoulder problems, I purchased a 220. I sighted it in with the Remington 2 3/4" Accu-Tips. I had 1 1/2" groups at 100 yards. Opening morning, I shot a large doe at 110 yards. Shot placement was dead on as aimed. Later at 11:20 AM, I shot a nice 7 point buck at 70 yards. The 220 is light to carry and a pleasure to shoot for both the young and older hunter. I paid anywhere from $12.15 to $12.99 per box of five shells. Still cheaper than the 12 gauge Lightfields and other brands of sabots for rifled barrels. As stated earlier, this weapon is a 20 gauge rifle. The Savage Accu-Trigger is a huge plus as I also have one on my Savage 204 Ruger. If you have open field shots this is the one for you.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Awsome shooting Silverfox.!! Congrats.

I'm really tickled with my 220 as well. I haven't had any long range shots yet but it's nice to know that after practicing with it at various distances I'm confident. I've shot two does this year with mine so far and it's my first year hunting with it. First was maybe 25 yards and the second was 45-50. That said, unlike my 11-87 that I've tinkered with for years, I don't have to squeeze the trigger and pray anymore. I wish the 220 was on the market 20 years ago!!!

A friend of mine recommended the 220 after he shot a buck last year at 190 yards. Since I experience chronic shoulder problems, I purchased a 220. I sighted it in with the Remington 2 3/4" Accu-Tips. I had 1 1/2" groups at 100 yards. Opening morning, I shot a large doe at 110 yards. Shot placement was dead on as aimed. Later at 11:20 AM, I shot a nice 7 point buck at 70 yards. The 220 is light to carry and a pleasure to shoot for both the young and older hunter. I paid anywhere from $12.15 to $12.99 per box of five shells. Still cheaper than the 12 gauge Lightfields and other brands of sabots for rifled barrels. As stated earlier, this weapon is a 20 gauge rifle. The Savage Accu-Trigger is a huge plus as I also have one on my Savage 204 Ruger. If you have open field shots this is the one for you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts