Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
12,718 Posts
She’s mine! 379 out the door after taxes. It’s a nice little rifle! The action was a little stiff at first but it’s much smoother now after working it in a bit. Guy said they haven’t seen 350 legend ammo in weeks so I gotta start calling around every week see if the truck had any on it.
They won't tell you... I've tried. Have a buddy that works for cabelas and he can't even tell me days ammo truck is coming.

Congrats on the gun! Hope ya get some bullets to test er out

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Set one of those cell enabled trail cameras by the cabelas unloading dock.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I bought a CVA Scout V2 in 350L for my daughter’s Christmas gift. She didn’t get a chance to shoot anything with it at the end of the season, but I did. Hornady 170gr SP, 40 yard shot from a tree stand. She fell right there. Nasty round...
View attachment 631145
That was my second choice actually but I couldn’t find a ton of reviews on it, and it didn’t come with the scope. The scout looks a lot cooler too but $379 after tax is hard to beat!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Reading that ammo should be back to pre-hysteria levels in may. Fingers crossed. Signed up for all the notify me when’s on the big ammo sites.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Reading that ammo should be back to pre-hysteria levels in may. Fingers crossed. Signed up for all the notify me when’s on the big ammo sites.
By May we'll have unlimited ammo because we'll all be in Heaven. Unless you go to Hell in which case they will only have 7 creedmoor ammo a creedmoor cartridge even worse than the current ones because it doesn't exist yet.

During the interceeding four months of apocalypse you are pretty much stuck with the ammo you've got. Should you have none you might hide in the forest and build an igloo so you can snow roost like a ruffed grouse. For food you'll have to survive on winter kill and carrion and eat snow for fluids.

Therefore all this panic is really unjustified.

·
Registered
35,255 Posts
She’s mine! 379 out the door after taxes. It’s a nice little rifle! The action was a little stiff at first but it’s much smoother now after working it in a bit. Guy said they haven’t seen 350 legend ammo in weeks so I gotta start calling around every week see if the truck had any on it.
Last week a friend told me Randy’s in Bad Axe had plenty.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Gezz, if dealers have a box or two of ammo set aside for handgun purchases, why not for rifle purchases ?

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Kin, you already made your purchase so my advice comes late...

I own both the Savage 220F and Savage Axis in 350Legend. 220F harvested three deer this year, 350L harvested one. Would have had 5 harvests, but the 220F wasn't up to the task of a 212 yard shot. Would have been walk in the park for the 350L.

So, the only question which matters is...how far will you be reaching out with your shots? Up to 150 yards ("possibly" 200 yards with sufficient ammo and practice) the 220F is a great shotgun. But if you anticipate regularly shooting out to 250 yards, definitely the 350L.

Of course, in today's scarcity climate, another big consideration is ammo availability and price. Rem AccuTip is running $20/5 rounds ($4/click) IF you can find it. I bought lotsa 350Legend in 2020 between $14-19 per box of 20 ($1/click or less). So, whatever you're going to spend on a 220F vs 350L, factor in ammo costs over lifetime of shooting and suddenly a $1K rifle becomes a bargain. With the bonus of reaching out further!

·
Registered
413 Posts
I have both the 350 legend and the 220 savage. I have taken deer with both. Both are accurate. However I am thinking of selling my Savage 220 if that tells you anything.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Kin, you already made your purchase so my advice comes late...

I own both the Savage 220F and Savage Axis in 350Legend. 220F harvested three deer this year, 350L harvested one. Would have had 5 harvests, but the 220F wasn't up to the task of a 212 yard shot. Would have been walk in the park for the 350L.
This is great news then. Most of our property are 150+ yard shots except in the swamp. What round are you using in the 350L?

View attachment 631959
They make the Axis (not Axis II) in lefty. I bought one for my daughter. I swapped out the plastic stock for a Boyd's and now its a beauty!
Very nice! If I see one around I might get another down the road and give this one to my son when he is old enough.

This forum really is great. I've already had more than a couple people reach out to me in PM. Because of those secret tips I scored 4 boxes of 350L today! Woooo. Thank you guys so much.

·
Registered
12,718 Posts
This is great news then. Most of our property are 150+ yard shots except in the swamp. What round are you using in the 350L?

Very nice! If I see one around I might get another down the road and give this one to my son when he is old enough.

This forum really is great. I've already had more than a couple people reach out to me in PM. Because of those secret tips I scored 4 boxes of 350L today! Woooo. Thank you guys so much.
Now let's see some bullseyes with that new toy, enjoy !

And the 220 is a 200+ yard gun as well. I only know because my buddy has made those shots in Shiawassee with a 220. He won't "upgrade" to a 350-450 he says there's no reason too.. At "home" my private there's a great chance I'll still use my slug gun when the shots are going to be inside 100 yards. A one ounce slug leaves a nasty hole-blood trail...
After I kill with my new toy of course ;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I couldnt wait so I took it to the local range with my FIL and tested it at 75 feet, lol. FIL also mentioned bolt could use a bit of juice to slide a bit better. Out of the box we only had to do 2 clicks left and one click up and she was pretty close. Going rabbit hunting in a few weeks and am going to dial it into 125 yards (the most realistic shot I'll be making on the property essentially).

This gun was an absolute blast to shoot! We ate up our hour in what felt like 10 minutes.

When I am watching someone else shoot, she really looks like she jumps, but you don't feel it shooting the gun. The first shot we took was the furthest left outside of the middle. Most of the groups were within less than a quarter inch of each other. Getting the clip in takes practice.

Overall I feel like I am more jacked now, not less! Deer I shot at this year was about 30-40 yards so I would have taken him had I been with this gun. My FIL liked it so much we ran out to Dunhams and he bought one himself! Looking forward to taking her outside and really seeing what she does around 150-200. Thanks again for all the tips! Check out the action shots from my slow mo on my phone. Radical!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Well by the looks of that target if all goes well next season you will be posting pictures!!! Glad your enjoying it so much!!! Keep the bolt lubed and order another clip you won’t be sorry. It’s in your back pack ready to go. It’s great insurance because you never know and if you lose your only clip or somehow falls while you’re heading to your stand and now you have a problem. Not trying to tell you what to do just know from experience on that. All my guns with clips have a spare. Very cool gun!! Remember coyote season is open all year!!! And that Savage is ready to strike....
Roger

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Well by the looks of that target if all goes well next season you will be posting pictures!!! Glad your enjoying it so much!!! Keep the bolt lubed and order another clip you won’t be sorry. It’s in your back pack ready to go. It’s great insurance because you never know and if you lose your only clip or somehow falls while you’re heading to your stand and now you have a problem. Not trying to tell you what to do just know from experience on that. All my guns with clips have a spare. Very cool gun!! Remember coyote season is open all year!!! And that Savage is ready to strike....
Roger
Great idea for sure! My FIL is convinced coyotes are eating all of the rabbits and pheasant because there used to be more apparently but I never see scat like I would in Washington state. Nasty creatures!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Oh they do along with young Turkeys and fawns oh they love fawns! It’s weird where we hunt you never see there droppings in the woods but the two tracks you see it. And the raccoons they love ground nesting birds eggs! I don’t know the season on raccoons without looking it up but I had a buddy years ago that would save the food scraps and old food and he had a raccoon bait pile and he loved hunting them like that. Right be for dark here they come.
He said he enjoyed that as much as deer hunting :D

Reactions: KinOfDarwin

·
Registered
35,255 Posts
Avian predators are responsible for a majority of the small game depredation. No season on them does not help.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Avian predators are responsible for a majority of the small game depredation. No season on them does not help.
well birds of prey are cool as hell so I'll give them a pass ;)

41 - 60 of 70 Posts