Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
1. Take a hunters safety course it’s required ( I think the animal deserves more respect then going out in the field with a gun you never used and trying g to kill it “

2. Read the hunting digest for all the game in Michigan. Several digests

3. This belongs in the firearms section.

I’m feeling froggy don’t mind me.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I've been hunting up north with 30-06 and 30-30 for decades. This year was the first time hunting down state. I bought the 350 and the leupold scope that goes along with it. Expensive but worth it. We shot two deer in the base of the neck. They dropped like rocks. If you want meat, avoid the 450. It is a canon and can blow bone pieces everywhere. The 350 has far less recoil than the 450 (but that doesn't really matter when you're hunting deer......you only shoot once.....and you're so jacked that you won't feel anything but your heart pumping). If you were going for trophies, I'd go with a 450 (longer range). I'd avoid slug guns; the ammo is quite a bit more expensive and they are likely not as accurate.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
We shot two deer in the base of the neck.
Funny enough I was talking to a buddy this evening who was telling me how his 450 and 350 seem to drop the deer instantly! He said you can hear the 450 hit the deer.

This is the first ive heard of shooting at the base of the neck, however.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Funny enough I was talking to a buddy this evening who was telling me how his 450 and 350 seem to drop the deer instantly! He said you can hear the 450 hit the deer.

This is the first ive heard of shooting at the base of the neck, however.
Least amount of damage to the meat. I shot 3 up north that way last year. All dropped in the lanes. Zero tracking.

·
Registered
12,730 Posts
Haha awesome. I’ve been shooting right handed guns left handed all my life why stop now?
I do the same.. Also shoot my bow right handed..I don't have a problem shooting ;)

My bro has the savage 350 IMO it's a cheaply made gun. Hence the price.. I've shot it, it shoots. But quality it isn't.
Good luck on which you chose, welcome to the site & addiction of hunting !

I know a couple guy's that shoot the savage 220 slug gun and I'd say it's way well built compared to the 350 they're producing. Also a 200 yard gun. I've seen shots made that far with that weapon

·
Registered
699 Posts
After talking to several of my buddies who own 450's and watching YouTube videos of deer dropping after being shot with a 450, I bought myself a Ruger American and the Leopold Freedom 450 scope to go with it. On the firearm opener I watched 3 very large bucks that were just out of my reach and I decided it was time for a change.
20201219_141448.jpg

I've got close to $1000.00 into it but to me it's worth it.
The Savage 220 is a nice gun. I sold alot of them when I worked at Gander Mtn.
Another gun to look for although it might be hard to find is the H&R single shot heavy barrel slug gun. Those guns in the 20 ga were wicked accurate.
Good luck on your search.

·
Registered
12,730 Posts
After talking to several of my buddies who own 450's and watching YouTube videos of deer dropping after being shot with a 450, I bought myself a Ruger American and the Leopold Freedom 450 scope to go with it. On the firearm opener I watched 3 very large bucks that were just out of my reach and I decided it was time for a change.
View attachment 630425
The Savage 220 is a nice gun. I sold alot of them when I worked at Gander Mtn.
Another gun to look for although it might be hard to find is the H&R single shot heavy barrel slug gun. Those guns in the 20 ga were wicked accurate.
Good luck on your search.
Beautiful gun reddog, have same exact :)
All 3 of my bro's own every other 450. Different models, they're all shooter's but mine 5×s quieter with the ported barrel instead of the muzzle break they all have.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Its beautiful! Totally worth it for sure, its just going to take me either a sweet deal or a few years of saving! At least then I will have the perspective of shooting a cheap gun so when I do drop a stack on a gun I'll be smiling :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
My bro has the savage 350 IMO it's a cheaply made gun. Hence the price.. I've shot it, it shoots. But quality it isn't.
That is a bummer to hear. I just found one locally for 325 at dunhams. Would you say it is worth it as a 5 year gun just to fill the freezer and learn the land or not bother?

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
That is a bummer to hear. I just found one locally for 325 at dunhams. Would you say it is worth it as a 5 year gun just to fill the freezer and learn the land or not bother?
Go buy it!! It'll last longer than you will if you take care of it.. I've got a Savage Axis that is 7 years old and it looks and shoots as good as it did when it was new and it has shot many hundreds of rounds through it..

Btw it shoots exceedingly well..

·
Registered
35,278 Posts
Absolutely. The next hardest part will be finding ammo. Good luck on whatever you decide.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Go buy it!! It'll last longer than you will if you take care of it.. I've got a Savage Axis that is 7 years old and it looks and shoots as good as it did when it was new and it has shot many hundreds of rounds through it..

Btw it shoots exceedingly well..
Good point. Just looked and you can’t find much. Bah, what a frustration! All on back order it seems. What a time to buy a gun.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Good point. Just looked and you can’t find much. Bah, what a frustration! All on back order it seems. What a time to buy a gun.
Did the one at Dunham's sell?

·
Registered
12,730 Posts
Yes, for that price hard to beat any rifle !!

And as far as ammo I was really surprised at the 450 and 350 rounds I seen on my stops on the way home from upnorth looking for certain slugs I needed... Could've changed from that time. That was Nov..

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Took this doe last year year during the early antlerless season with my wife's axis .350 legend. 215 yard quartering to shot, deer made it about 50 yards. I bought the rifle for her but I like it so much I carry it more than she does. View attachment 630841
That is such a beautiful picture. The blood on the stalks, the rifle, the perfect surgical shot. We got a doe about that size and I split her with the other guy that didn't get a deer and every piece of meat tasted like backstrap. Only about a bag and a half though, already chewed through it! :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
She’s mine! 379 out the door after taxes. It’s a nice little rifle! The action was a little stiff at first but it’s much smoother now after working it in a bit. Guy said they haven’t seen 350 legend ammo in weeks so I gotta start calling around every week see if the truck had any on it.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts