Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys want an opinion on a Savage 114 without the accutrigger. The place I found it at discovered it in the backroom after digging for a 700. The price is 329, w/o a scope, and no accutrigger. It is a 7mm mag. The shipping label on the box is from 2002. Is a couple year old model as accurate as the new ones?

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
A Timney Trigger will run you about 80.00 bucks, still thats a darn good price. Les

·
Registered
22 Posts
Awesome rifle at a very good price, pick it up for sure. Accuracy should be the same as the new ones, wouldnt even worry about that. I recently purchased a used savage in 7mm rem mag and it is a tack driver, i was very impressed. Mine loves the cheap old rem core-lokts, so i cant complain.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey thanks for the response!

Now another question, what type of scope do I want to put on it to shoot 100 to 400 yards?

·
Registered
22 Posts
As far as the scope, 3x9x40 nikon prostaff for around $150 would be a good choice, or something from leupold would fit the bill for 100-400 yards.I have a leupold rifleman 3x9x40 on my 7mag that i ended up paying $140 new at cabelas with a sale price and one of their coupons. I was after a scope with a lot of eye relief, so it came down to the prostaff or leupold.Prostaff had 3.5 in of eye relief and the leupold rifleman had 3.7-4.2 inches of eye relief.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As far as the scope, 3x9x40 nikon prostaff for around $150 would be a good choice, or something from leupold would fit the bill for 100-400 yards.I have a leupold rifleman 3x9x40 on my 7mag that i ended up paying $140 new at cabelas with a sale price and one of their coupons. I was after a scope with a lot of eye relief, so it came down to the prostaff or leupold.Prostaff had 3.5 in of eye relief and the leupold rifleman had 3.7-4.2 inches of eye relief.
Thanks alot for the responses, what do you think of the new nikon with the bdc recticle?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I looked at the nikon's with the bdc recticle and it seems like a neat idea. Although, I prefer the plain old crosshairs as i think the bdc would be a little distracting when peering through the scope. But, to be honest it's personal choice when it comes to this, you may like it or you may not. Also, make sure you get some good rings and bases for it. Anyways, good luck and let us know what you went with and how you like it. Take Care:)

·
Registered
9,878 Posts
Hey guys want an opinion on a Savage 114 without the accutrigger. The place I found it at discovered it in the backroom after digging for a 700. The price is 329, w/o a scope, and no accutrigger. It is a 7mm mag. The shipping label on the box is from 2002. Is a couple year old model as accurate as the new ones?
Great buy, scoop it up. most people cant tell difference between trigger pulls any way. Kinda like a urban hunting legend. In some instances trigger pull will be a noticeable varient, but for the average joe, not that noticeable

1 - 9 of 9 Posts