Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My grandpa just got a bunch of new walleye gear, and we wanna go out and try it. I understand it might be a little late for us to be chasing walleye, but I hear a few stories that they are still active out of bay city, near the spark plug... That's one possibility for us. Another is maybe going to the east side of the thumb, out near port austin. A good source from out there says the walleye have pretty much moved out of there though. We might be able to try to wander out to Caseville or maybe Linwood, but I'm not real certain where we could get the best action at?
What do you guys think? Any tips for those toothy critters this time of year?

·
Registered
749 Posts
If I were coming from the west side, I think I'd launch out of Linwood Bay Marina (Hoyle's) and go NE to just east of the Black Hole and then keep heading NE into deeper water toward the green spark plug.
You should pick up something along the way, and then perhaps start making large figure eights to see if there are more in the same area.

That's just my $.02, but you can have it free :D

Good Luck!

·
Registered
86 Posts
me and my dad went out last saturday out of linwood. we got seven walleye and lost six. we were by the black hole and north. once weight's 45 and 55 behind inline boards.

good luck

·
Registered
749 Posts
It's that thing that swallows up everything that gets close to it. Even time doesn't exist there - did you sleep during science class? :lol:

If you go to LBM - or you can get one at many sports shops - get a HotSpots map of Saginaw Bay. You will see an area known as the Black Hole located NE of Linwood. It's a few feet deeper than the surrounding water and tends to hold fish in and around it.
The last time I launched at LBM, they gave us a smaller map of the Bay free, and it showed the Black Hole.
If you don't have a map, just go NE after you get out of the channel and look for other boats.
Unless you get there really early on a Saturday, there will be plenty of others already out there to show you the way.

·
Banned
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haha thanks :D

After seeing the northbound traffic on 23 today, I might hold this trip off until the week...

On the plus side, we got the troll plate for the boat (troll-a-matic?)
And my grandpa's got two line counter rods, a rod with leadcore, and some inline boards. So we've got lots of toys to play with trying to catch some fish. It's a little late in the year to be experimenting, I think, but it's worth the trip just to spend time with the old man.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts