Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Canuck136 drove over to join us on the river this morning. I hope we impressed him! :lol: Started out in front of Alter. Only stayed 15 mins. Move to Ren. Cen., US limit in about an hour and a half. Shot over to cow pasture and saw all the boys... Hotwired, Houghton Laker, and Mike the elder. Everyone was killing them! Picked up our last 2 fish there nad started culling after that. Ended up boating 42 eye's :evil: and I caught a nice Musky and we also caught at least 6 Smallmouth. What a great day! We were catching fish steady all day right into the middle of the afternoon. Man did we find the honey hole at about 11:00! Started picking up 3-4lb fish steady! Sorry guys... this is location is for V.I.P. buddies! Only left because we were out of beer!:lol: It was great having you out Canuck! You are one hell of a fisherman and now you've got jigging down pat!:D

·
Registered
628 Posts
Hey you guys look familiar! You from around these parts? Awesome day of fishing it was. You guys are great company on the waters, had a blast. It was good meeting all yall! Easy limits, easy limits, even the wife was milted on.:evil:

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great meetin you too buddy! We'll do lots of side by side fishing this year foresure! NICE NET!!! LOL!

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
We had a riot today didn't we guys!! You picked a good group of guys to take you out Canuck!! Was a pleasure meeting you! I am already developing walleye hands from the gill plates!! One more day of fun!! Monday I have to work all day...then go back in and work all night Flushing water mains....that means tues. I'll be off;) Give you one guess where I'll be!:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
nice...I wondered where you boys where....I need to assemble my canadian licensed crew and head...South???...of the border...who didnt catch today is the better question...andy

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
My son (MuskyHunter) and I had an absolutely memorable day. He caught his first handlining walleye of his life today. His second was a monster but the net man, me, lost the fish for him. I was too stupid to extend the net handle beforhand and I was trying to do it while holding my own wire in my left hand. Caught the lure and only half of the fish. Boy, did I feel bad! Then I did it again three fish later.

We lost several fish on the way up, several fish at the side of the boat, HotWired was laughing at me on that one. I found out it isn't like pike fishing with a Daredevle. You can't grab the lure and swing it in the boat. I did swing my last one in though. Flying fish looks awesome!

We need to get our boat organized though. Our boat looked like a tornado hit it again. Too many jigging rods, coolers, cold-weather gear, tackleboxes, etc. Takes a while to develop a system I guess.

Back at it Sunday. It was like old-home day out there today. It was nice to see all those familiar faces.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yah! I would say the Ren-Cen was on fire today. We also boated a 3 man limit by 8:30. Any thing you dipped into the water was hot. They picked up in the early afternoon. We probably boated a good 50 +. Plus a few small mouth and a big fat sucker.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
CASTMASTER 5000 said:
Canuck136 drove over to join us on the river this morning. I hope we impressed him! :lol: Started out in front of Alter. Only stayed 15 mins. Move to Ren. Cen., US limit in about an hour and a half. Shot over to cow pasture and saw all the boys... Hotwired, Houghton Laker, and Mike the elder. Everyone was killing them! Picked up our last 2 fish there nad started culling after that. Ended up boating 42 eye's :evil: and I caught a nice Musky and we also caught at least 6 Smallmouth. What a great day! We were catching fish steady all day right into the middle of the afternoon. Man did we find the honey hole at about 11:00! Started picking up 3-4lb fish steady! Sorry guys... this is location is for V.I.P. buddies! Only left because we were out of beer!:lol: It was great having you out Canuck! You are one hell of a fisherman and now you've got jigging down pat!:D

Derek and Mike...thank you so much!!! Not only did we pound fish ;) , but I now have a few more buddies to add to the arsenal. It took me a little bit, but I eneded up holding my own in the end. Great peeps!! Best day I've EVER had walleye fishing.

Mike - I left my rod on your boat, so wether or not you want me next weekend, I'll see you in cAnAdA.

Kevin - a pleasure to meet you too. Good to put a face with "houghton laker".

Curt - Good to see you too and I'm glad your neck is healing.

Whitetail70 - A pleasure to meet you!

I must say gents that I personally will mark this one down...met some new faces and pounded the eyes!!!

See you next week!!!

Cheers,
Rick

·
Registered
59 Posts
Guys, I know its unethical to question ones limit, but, you might want to check the rule book for the detroit river for the creel limit on walleyes. nice pic though.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Ibfishin61 said:
Guys, I know its unethical to question ones limit, but, you might want to check the rule book for the detroit river for the creel limit on walleyes. nice pic though.
They have commercial fishing licenses!:evil: Looks like a nice Canadian limit to me, eh.

·
Super Moderator
10,173 Posts
Ibfishin61 said:
Canadian side is 6. Great job guys! We also limited and probably tossed back well more than we put in the cooler! What a beautiful day! :) BTW Houghten Laker, next time I ask you how you are doing and you say you are killing them, remind me to ask you where you are fishing! :p Oh well, really didn't make much difference. We did well where I thought you were at! :lol:

·
Registered
194 Posts
I finally made it over to the river. I almost turned back when I saw all the trucks with trailers parker at St Jean... they stretched for 3/4-mile up the road from the lanch.... they even went around the corner for a ways. Anyway, I got lucky and found a spot down by the lauch, because I got a late start. I wandered around in the boat for a while, just to shake things down. Went out to the mouth of the river, up the LSC. There were dozen boats jigging up there, but they weren't catching anything. I've fished the river enough in the spring to know you don't hang around where you aren't catching fish. I head down river to the large bouy just up stram of Bell Isle, caught one, yoo hoo, fish fish of the spring. I could work up another from this spot. Headed down to just up river of the Ren Cen (there were a ton of boats at the Ren Cen) and in two short passes I had three more fish. After another hour, I had my fifth. All on Gulp, no bait. In fact, I used the same jig and same Gulp minnow for the entire 2-1/2-hrs and all five fish. Cheap fishing.

Man it was a beautiful day on the river. Thanks to all on this site for pointing me directly at the best lure and the "keep it verticle trick". Alltough, there was sp little wind today, I almost din't need to chase my line. Only a little bump on reverse now and them.

·
Registered
947 Posts
huntingmaniac45 said:
Derek...You mean that new reel actually worked?:lol:
:yeahthat: I was wondering that too.:) . Did you pick up the new jigging stick?

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Natlight said:
:yeahthat: I was wondering that too.:) . Did you pick up the new jigging stick?
:lol: sure did! Houghton Laker hooked me up with a really nice outfit an I love it!

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Well, what the price up to now? Oh yeah, I have a new problem, now I have to learn how to net fish left handed.:lol: Lost a few at the boat today jigging, trying to net the darn things left handed.:lol:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts