Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bumpy but good.

We took a 5 man limit today. It took a while, but we got them all. Launched at Erie Metro Park and ran to Brest Bay. Fished 20-22 FOW running crawler harneses on snap weights and bottom bouncers. Purple beads and gold blades did the best, copper was a close second. Waves were 3-4. It laid down for about an hour then it picked back up. It took us an hour to run back to Erie Metro Park.

Lots of white bass, no sheepies. If you go, get the 100 count of crawlers, you will need it. Water was 60 degrees at the surface.

· Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is the picture of the fish. I am the one on the left, yellow shirt.

My buddy wanted to keep some white bass to try, those are in this picture also, along with a bonus perch. Has anyone ever eaten a white bass. They didn't clean up very well.

· Registered
4,050 Posts
Hunt4Ever said:
My buddy wanted to keep some white bass to try, those are in this picture also, along with a bonus perch. Has anyone ever eaten a white bass. They didn't clean up very well.
I've had them, fresh they are OK, a little strong. Once they hit the freezer they seem to get very strong tasting.

· Registered
2,540 Posts
I eat white bass a couple times a year. Usually it is the result of me taking the kids out and targeting 'em just for the fun of the spectacular pullage. We will catch a hundred or more and we only keep the ones who really swallow it and are going to die. this usually gets us a dinner. The key to eating white bass is that they must be really fresh. If you don't eat them within 18 hours, you might as well throw them away, they get really skunky-they actually stink. They do not freeze well at all either. What I do is typically "loin" them out. Just cut the fillet out from the real meaty part of the back to the tail (the belly area is scrap). I then flip the fillet over and cut out most of the "mud vein" that is the dark red meat on the skin side of the fillet.

I then fry 'em up, sautee or grill 'em and they are good. Whole family likes 'em. But once again, when they turn skunky, even the cat won't eat 'em.

Jim

· Registered
3,231 Posts
What I've found is you need to keep them alive as long as possible, or get them on ice ASAP. Don't let them get warm. Doing that, I have frozen them after vacuum sealing. You need to thaw them in the refrig and use right away. Can't be left on the counter to thaw, or left in the fridge long after thawing and still taste good. When done properly, I've had folks that couldn't tell the difference between them and walleye on the same plate.

· Registered
913 Posts
I have keep them and eaten them. Don't ask how they where cleaned my wife cleans all the fish I bring home, I do know they where filleted though. The one thing I think needs to be done is cut their gills and blead them out. I had a budy of mine show me this trick and I now use it on all the fish I'm going to eat. BTW we ate them after sitting in the freezer for over a month and they tasted fine.

· Registered
3,687 Posts
Both of the 2 ideal things were mentioned here. Slit the gills and get them in a cooler of ice ASAP. bury them in it too. Cool them down quick and they are a fine fish. Someone mentioned the top of the fillet is the best too.

· Registered
3,231 Posts
FMann said:
I have keep them and eaten them. Don't ask how they where cleaned my wife cleans all the fish I bring home, I do know they where filleted though. The one thing I think needs to be done is cut their gills and blead them out. I had a budy of mine show me this trick and I now use it on all the fish I'm going to eat. BTW we ate them after sitting in the freezer for over a month and they tasted fine.
Frank,
I know that has to be you. Only guy I know who's wife would clean 50+ fish while he was sleeping! :yikes:

· Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Brad,

There were two boats. One boat with three, one with two. It was "Trollers" vs "Casters". Best 10 fish from each boat. Casters caught 15, weighed 10. Trollers caught 10 and upgraded a few in the livewell. I was in the trolling group. We came out on top by 1 lb, 5 oz. Casters were targeting bottom fish, I was targeting where I saw fish on the sonar.

· Registered
276 Posts
we were out there with you guys as well. two guys in a black and grey monark. Got a 2 man limit on harness with watermelon chompers and then went to jets and spoons and caught another 15. fun ride back though. rough rough rough. ran the bilge until celeron. can't wait til sterling opens, alot nicer to get home to!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.