Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reports from last week showed further south still producing better than my planned run to St Joe so we put in Saturday morning at New Buffalo. We drove across the state in a steady rain but it stopped a few miles before hitting the launch. We somehow got to fish for a few hours without a drop of rain. Waves were building quickly and we were run off the lake. It was a late start and early finish but we managed to put 10 ho's in the boat in about 2 1/2 hours. Started out trolling the beach in about 10 fow dragging just 6 boards. Boated one and may have had another one or two hits. Turned back north and nothing across the pier-heads and for another mile north. Finally decided to swing back south and swung out to about 20 fow in the turn and picked up a fish. We landed 7 in about a half hour staying in 20 fow and 2.5-3 mph. Seemed like speed bumps got hits. Waves continued to build and we were in my little Princecraft. Needed the big motor to control the boat and more speed but the fish didn't seem to mind. Had one big hit/rip that looked like it was a big fish but it came un-pinned. Steel or Brown maybe. At quitting time we picked up another fish that keeps you out a little longer and one more fish as we were pulling the lines. Talked to one of the two guys that were on the pier all morning. They had nothing. Never saw another boat. View attachment 385865
Smile Camouflage Military camouflage Military person Military uniform

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hot tip.. Want your fish to look bigger? Use a smaller cooler!

I just realized I didn't disclose lures. Not much of a fishing report. Body baits took all the fish. Most un-weighted but a few behind 2 colors of lead core. Bright orange ThinFish with yellow squiggleys took one, home painted thinfin shad (can't quite describe color but not bright, just ugly) took two, a black back, black squiggly orange brads thinfish took one. Hero of the day was a perch rapala (3.5 inch?) that took 6 fish!
Cloudy windy mid-day fishing
43 degree surface temp
39 degree air temp
Most fish in about 20 fow at 2.5-3.0 mph

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NICE BOX !
Thank you sir. Likely would have easily limited out if we stayed just a little longer. In my younger days I would have for sure. It was getting pretty rough for my little tin can and I'm getting old. Took one good wave over the bow but still stayed for a handful more fish.
Water Glasses Sky Vertebrate Cloud
Water Sky Smile Outdoor recreation Lake

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Thank you sir. Likely would have easily limited out if we stayed just a little longer. In my younger days I would have for sure. It was getting pretty rough for my little tin can and I'm getting old. Took one good wave over the bow but still stayed for a handful more fish. View attachment 385871 View attachment 385873
Wow you werent kidding. You guys were right on the beach! Perch rapala is an interesting choice for coho but it sure paid off!

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You guys were right on the beach!
We've picked up fish in the past with our furthest board inside the first sandbar.

I forgot to mention, I didn't mean to Discount spoons or peanut flies. We just never had a chance to even get them wet. Like to hear from anybody that's found action this spring with peanut flies or spoons also.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks like the back hook seen better days
Ya, a couple of the youngins took barbs in top and bottom of their mouth pinning em shut. No risk of losing the fish but hard to remove, especially with them flopping like mad like they do. I try to unhook em right over the live well so the entire bottom of my boat is not full of scales.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
My boat has a 90 horse Main and a 9.9 kicker. I had to use the big engine just to keep on course. Didn't mean to try trolling at 3 miles per hour but sometimes we needed the speed, the waves were pushing us around that much. I don't think you can out troll the Coho. We definitely caught most of our fish between 2.5 and 3 mph. You also get to cover a lot more ground. It might even set hooks better. If your baits will hold the speed go for it, you'll catch fish. The Dodgers won't hold that much speed if you're pulling flies but the rapalas, thunder sticks and thin-fish definitely will. I'm surprised none of my boards ever took a dive, they were coming way up in the air.
Edit to add.. the picture of me holding the fish was our first fish, early. It got progressively worse as far as the waves building and the wind coming up.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would think more speed would be less tangles. If you ever had to cut your engine you know what I mean. I guess I'm used to musky trolling at 4 to 5 mph on Lake st. Clair.
Looks like I'll be getting out again next Friday. Hope to see some you guys on the water. Look for The Little Prince craft with the dark blue 90 horse Evinrude with the white 9.9 kicker that's speeding around up n down the beach.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yesterday was out of New Boston on the south end of Lake Michigan. Probably will be going out of Benton Harbor - St Joe this Friday. The fish should be starting to migrate north. It's been a few years since I've been on Lake Huron despite it being closer for me.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I forgot to mention, I didn't mean to Discount spoons or peanut flies. We just never had a chance to even get them wet. Like to hear from anybody that's found action this spring with peanut flies or spoons also.
Davelobi, I'm rigging a couple of Dreamweaver Coho Z dodgers with peanut flies that I just bought. Is there a general rule for leader length? I'm not sure how far back from the dodger to place the peanut fly. Is it like 12 to 18 inches or is it more like 36? I've never really used dodgers or flies much and want to incorporate them.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Many others on here could elaborate with much more experience than i can. I pre-tied my peanut flies with about 15 inch or so leaders and wind them on a chunk of pool noodle with tooth picks. Couldn't find mine (maybe lost in moving) so didn't even have them with me. Brought small spoons but didn't get any wet. Try this if no response or search the forums. https://www.google.com/search?q=lea...droid-verizon&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Many others on here could elaborate with much more experience than i can. I pre-tied my peanut flies with about 15 inch or so leaders and wind them on a chunk of pool noodle with tooth picks. Couldn't find mine (maybe lost in moving) so didn't even have them with me. Brought small spoons but didn't get any wet. Try this if no response or search the forums. https://www.google.com/search?q=lea...droid-verizon&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8
Thanks. I knew I read that somewhere. Just wasn't sure.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.