Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was a pretty nice morning today, once we found a place to launch. Bolles Harbor was full by the time my crew and I made it down there. With Sterling S.P. being closed (great call by the DNR on that one huh?) we had to pay at a marina for overnight berthage.

Getting out to the outskirts of the pack, we soon deployed Reef Runners on one side of the boat, and Stinger spoons on Mini-Dipsey's on the other, trolling speed set at 2.2 mph. Wham, fish on....wham, fish on...wham....you get the hint :lol: steady like that for 2 hours. 25 beautiful fish iced and the gear picked back up by noon, and we were out of there. Hot colors for us on the spoons were Shrimp, Monkey Puke and Kevorkian. Reef Runner stand-outs were cheap sunglasses and Texas Perch(?)

I had 3 boys out today, Little Chaos and two of his buddies and one of their dads, Larry. It was a pleasure to take people out that don't ever get to see the great fishing we have here in Michigan. Larry was really surprised to see us catch fish before we even had half the rods set, then I treated him to the humorous outpouring from good old Ch. 68. We are going out again tomorrow, weather dependant. Cpt. Chaos on the side...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thanks for the great report. New to trolling and want to go out Monday. Would you be willing to go over some of the basics, or even give me a call?

·
Registered
322 Posts
We launched out of Bolles in the morning about 8:30 and went straight out to 21' and started trolling jets/copper,gold spoons and BB's w/crawler harnesses but for the 1st 1.5 hrs all we got was silver bass. Then we slowed things down a bit(the big outboard was running 3.2GPS) and started picking off the walleye along with more silver and a couple of sheephead. We ended up picking up most of our fish almost in front of fermi in 25fow. Ended the day with 3 tix punched and a couple of throw backs. Nice day to be out we got off just on time before it got too hot and sticky.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Launched at Bolles at 6:30 AM, started catching silvers as soon as lines were in the water. Finally moved out to deep water off the point and got our first eye. Fished rippers, and spoons on mini divers; got most of our fish on the spoons, happy hooker was working for me.

Dan

·
Registered
628 Posts
Fished Banana/Fermis in all depths only managed one eye then headed straight out to channel, still nothing but unwanteds. On the way in saw pack of boats by tin shed in 12-14 ft and finished my limit by 11 am. Worked a little hard for them!

·
Registered
911 Posts
I had 3 trips this weekend and limited a 3 man limit every time out in under 3 hours. Caught most of the fish in 25 to 26 fow in front of Sterling. Didn't keep anything under 18" and the biggest was 23". Took a couple of guys out this AM that had never been on Erie before. They were tickled to death with the sack of fillets and the excellent fishing. Most fish came on spoons behind mini dipseys. No one color seemed to really stand out. They were hitting everything. And the lack of weeds and bugs was very nice, allthough the flies were starting to flock up this AM.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Set lines at 9:30 am this morning approx 3.5 miles out of Swan Creek off of Stoney point in 23-25ft of water. Ran mini-discs 55-65ft back and 30 jets 35 ft back with confusion, shrimp, and boy-girl stingers at 2.2-2.5 mph. Took a 4 man limit in just over 2 1/2 hours, couldnt keep 4 rods in the water. Had 7-8 throwbacks between 12"-14" as well. Perfect timing to quit as the wind kicked up really good when the thunderstorm blew in.

Tight Lines

Ozzman :fish:

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
BAd News

A freind and I borrowed a boat to make a trip down to Sterling. Things started going south when we got to the bait shop just outside the park and found out the launch was closed. We went down to Bolles and launched and plan to run back uo to Stoney. Well when we were out far enough to make the turn north I hit the gas and everything worked great for a few minutes then the motor locked up hard and stalled. We were not sure what happened so I put it in nutral and it restarted so I pushed the forward button and it seemed fine untill I gave it more throttle then it stalled again. Tillted the motor up, the prop and everything looked fine so I put it back down and restarted it again with the same results. We ended up using the backup 9.9 horse to get up as far as River Rasin and made a couple drifts using bottom bouncers and harnesses. We did get 1 eye 17 inches, 1 perch of about 12 inches and several sheeps and white bass. Back at the launch we pulled the plug in the lower unit and water ran out, no oil just water. Apparently when they changed the lower unit oil last fall they drained it but never refilled it.
Alleyes nice meeting you at the camp grounds. Nice to see you had a lot better luck than we did.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts