Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was a muggy, foggy, buggy day out on the water. It was dead calm, and the bugs were pretty bad. We trolled out to about 83 FOW and picked up some pinks, a steelhead, few lakers and lost some others. Wasn't one of the better days out there thats for sure. We called it a day early because of a storm and I ended up getting soaked to the bone anyways. Saturday I heard reports of guys doing well on kings and steelhead. I heard guys talking about someone getting a 16 pound king and other guys catching BIG steelhead. I don't know if its true.

The pinks are in big time they love going for a ride on the leadcore. The best spoons were manistee watermelon, green dolphin and pink alewife. Heard others getting fish on little flys on white spindoctors on dipsys on 3.5 120 back on wire. Steelhead came on watermelon. All the lures were standard size.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Nice catches at the Harbor Beach Pro King Tourney on Sat. Many nice steelheads, coho's and a few kings. One king was 15 1/2lbs. :fish:

·
Registered
9,081 Posts
sounds like your trip went similar to ours, for a minute i thought i heard you on the radio saturday, turned out it was somone else who has a slip there.

yeah were talked to one boat that got 3 kings, one was 10# not sure about the rest. we had a decent trip, could've been better could've been worst.

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My buddy John Qualls took second in the Pro King. Thats with a crew of guys who never fished before in their life.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Great report, sounds like there are a lot of pinkies around right now. I'm looking at the weather for wednesday, looks like its going to be flat, maybe I'll run back out there again. What depths did you find/mark most of the fish? I've never fished out of that port super early, is most of the best fishing right at sun up?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Thanks for the reports. I am planning on hitting sanilac this weekend if the weather is ok. I have never caught a pink before. Are they similar eating as the other salmon/steelhead?

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was hit and miss all over. I would go straight out of the harbor to the C buoy and that should be 71 FOW. Put down a standard green dolphin SS 80 feet back and 63 feet down on one rigger. On the other rigger run a pink alewife 40 down and 70 feet back. Run 2 7 color lead core with green dolphin and watermelon spoons, and 2 3 colors for steelhead. Troll south and you should catch fish. The 71 feet has been my best lately. The pinks are good to eat but I wish I could throw them back. They die when hooked. They have soft flesh and are very delicate. They have a forked tail. Average size now is from 10-17 inches in length. You need to check all the rods very often. They hit as soon as you put the rod down.

·
Registered
9,081 Posts
chuckinduck said:
Great report, sounds like there are a lot of pinkies around right now. I'm looking at the weather for wednesday, looks like its going to be flat, maybe I'll run back out there again. What depths did you find/mark most of the fish? I've never fished out of that port super early, is most of the best fishing right at sun up?
most of our fish were 55-70 fow, just working that shelf, marked several nice pods of baitfish in there. (about 3 miles out)

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nope, I'm not too worried about it. Pretty soon we'll be going to Lake MI. I'm just going out to keep the boat in check. I'm not traveling out too far to waste gas. I hear good things about the Price though.

·
Registered
622 Posts
salmon_slayer06 said:
nope, I'm not too worried about it. Pretty soon we'll be going to Lake MI. I'm just going out to keep the boat in check. I'm not traveling out too far to waste gas. I hear good things about the Price though.
I heard you were gonna be doing charters this year over there.One of the guy's at the PS launch was telling me about it. How's that going? Got a lot of booking's? Good luck, hope all goes well.

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well I was hopeing to get my captains license this winter but never did it. Theres guys at work who want to go out, plus friends and such.

·
Registered
9,081 Posts
you can still bill them gas money ect, you just aren't aloud to take a profit. thats why i want to get my dad's boat rigged, so many people want to go but i don't have the room and i really have to watch the weather in my 17'er.

you plan on fishing manistee this year?

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
oh yeah! Last year the best time was the end of July and into August. We did make a late trip after Labor Day and all we caught were 2 and 3 year olds. The boat might be getting sold here soon, so I may not be going at all. I'll be going a few times with some other people but other than that I'll be chasing those steelhead again too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts