Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out for a walk along the river today (NW Ohio) and heard a sound that can't mistaken for anything else. I look in the distance and see a HUGE flock of sandhills coming from the north. They passed directly overhead and I counted to 100 before the tree line blocked my view.
Content and happy I went on with my walk and no more then 15 minutes later I heard it again. From the exact same direction another group flew threw. This flock was made up of 4 seperate groups - 3 groups of sandhills and a group of canada geese. I was too busy trying to seperate the canadas from the sandhills to get a count, but there were more in the 2nd group then the 1st.
So if anyone in Michigan can tell me of a recent sandhill flock that moved through I'd be impressed. They had to come through somebody's area up there.

Brad

·
Registered
851 Posts
Sandhill Cranes summer in the swamps east of Jackson MI, and I've heard that some of the flock winter there also. It's hard to tell where yours came from, but I think it's pretty late for migration. You may have a resident group there also.

·
Registered
823 Posts
There is a large community of Sandhills in the Fenton area. From Fenton to Jackson you can see them in many of the fields when they are feeding. They were here, near Fenton, as of 2 weeks ago. I think they move with the forming of ice. I believe their roost is water, not sute tho....

very cool birds

·
Banned
2,140 Posts
Sandhills nest and feed throughout Michigan. They can be destructive around homes especially when the male is protecting his mate and /or young.....If you feed birds...deer...or squirrels near your house be very careful and keep a watchful eye out as they will approach their reflection in windows......Personally I had to replace a large front window...$125.00...and ( 7 ) patio screens $ 35.00...plus my labor after a male sandhill crane had attacked what he possibly thought was a rival.......Now I chase them away whenever they come to feed.....after awhile they get the drift and avoid coming in...Hunted in some states,I,ve heard that they make a pretty tasty meal....?????:corkysm55 :bash: :mad:

FIND A PLACE THAT MAKES YOU HAPPY.....AND GO THERE.....OFTEN

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sandhills winter in the southern states. These guys must have been hanging out and decided to split when the snow came through

Brad

·
Registered
9,759 Posts
there were some sandhills a few years ago in january near fowlerville.... damn things wouldn't shut up actually. I thought they all went south too, maybe these guys are starting to be like canadian geese (oh *****)

·
Banned
19,596 Posts
They are beautiful birds but I understand that they are starting to cause some fairly major crop damage in some parts of the UP. I remember running into huge flocks of them on a trip out west a few years ago (ironically we were going through the Sand Hills area in Nebraska at the time :lol: ) and these flocks were landing in the fields in the morning to feed. There must have been ten thousand of them, they literally filled the sky. We don't see them very often around where I live in Traverse City but here is a picture I took of a small flock up here a few years ago.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Someone mentioned that sandhills being in the jackson area. I've seen close to a hundred in the summer in a small lake in the jackson area(along the shore). pairs and small groups started flying in throughout the sunset in june 2 years ago. It was awesome they were coming in from every direction. Haven't seen any around here since around nov. first.

·
Registered
9,759 Posts
i thought they hunted em in alaska... coulda swore that they called em tundra chickens.... i dunno, could be wrong.

·
Banned
19,596 Posts
MSUICEMAN said:
i thought they hunted em in alaska... coulda swore that they called em tundra chickens.... i dunno, could be wrong.
I've heard Ptarmigan called tundra chickens before. I believe they hunt Sandhills in Texas. Don't know about Alaska, though.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I love these Cranes... I photographed a pair with there little one in the UP last year... I was going fishing with my son at 7am and we came across this pair walking in a wet area on the side of the road... Stopped and grabed my 200mm lens and my tripod and got some nice pics... this is my favorite.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
That's a cool pic pporonto. I had never seen one before until about 3-4 years ago. Now I see them all over the place, especially at the Bald Mtn Rec area.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I just saw a news item from east Tennessee -- there's going to be an annual crane viewing in Meigs County, apparently near the Hiawassee River. I guess some of them winter there. The Hiawassee flows west from the Smokies and joins the Tennessee River just above Chattanooga. There's a bird sanctuary on the south side of the river that I fished a couple of years ago -- that could be the area.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts