Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
In Oregon or Washington, you won't find any here in the Great Lakes region.

It is a west coast bait that people use for steelhead and salmon. Here we use cooked cocktail shrimp or sometimes raw shrimp. More west coast guys are starting to run cooked cocktail shrimp a lot since it is easier to get.

Just use plain old cooked cocktail shrimp from the grocery store. Any medium size should do.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Hi chase, you are probably reading some west coast journals about using sand shrimp. They're not sold anywhere over here to my knowledge. It sounds crazy and way simple, but simple cooked cocktail shrimp from Meijer (50-60 count) will work just fine. Split the bag into a couple of ziplock bags at home and save the rest for future trips.

Read Donp's post in the thread titled "almost time" for rigging tips.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, but one question. Could you show/tell how to put the shrimp on the hook?

Chase

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Thanks, but one question. Could you show/tell how to put the shrimp on the hook?

Chase
That isn't as important as just having good fresh bait out there. Most people like to leave the hook exposed so the fish can hook itself. I don't really think it matters too much. A decent size octopus hook ran through the body or just hooked once in the body or tail of the shrimp will work fine. Only thaw out how much you need for one trip and keep the rest frozen. I don't use old shrimp but some people seem to think stinky shrimp that sat in the fridge for a while works good. Its more about fishing when the fish are there, they usually aren't that picky.

That's why so many guys watch the water temps and winds to give them the best chances at fish.

·
Registered
34 Posts
hey chase its true it doesnt matter how you hook it they still eat shrimp on the hook ive had some doubts sometimes when i would hook the shrimp right but most of my fish still have werent picky at all and hooked themselves

TIP: chase when you do get a fish on your rig reel in fast as you can because 99% of the time the fish would swallow the hook deep and there is no need to set the hook and when your main line is close to your sinker, let the battle begin and hang on!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts