Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the salmon skein readily available at the bate stores or is it something that you guys get from your own catches? I have been only fishing for salmon twice and it seemed as if the guys that were catching the fish all were using skein. I have read up on how to preserve it. I was just wondering if it can be bought to get a guy started out.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, I have never seen it sold regularly. Although I did talk to the guy at pappy's in wellston about this, and he said he does sell it from time to time, but for the most part, all of the tackle shops just sell bags. I too would be interested, as I have yet to catch a fresh hen.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I've seen preserved stuff for sale at the local Gander Mountain. You can also buy cured stuff online, they ship it from the west coast and Alaska. I've never tried any of it.

Mitch

·
Registered
762 Posts
Due to VHS concerns, I wouldn't reccommend using bait from the NW. Some local bait shops will sell smaller sized bags which will work. Just use 2 to 3 bags on a hook. The size of the store-bought bags are perfect for steelies, not salmon.

·
Registered
153 Posts
pikeslayer

A good way to get started is to visit few cleaning stations. Guides and others use them often and rarely take all of their skein. Actually, if you there at the right times, you can get all you can want. This is also cheaper than purschasing it. Hope this helps you get started.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
pikeslayer

A good way to get started is to visit few cleaning stations. Guides and others use them often and rarely take all of their skein. Actually, if you there at the right times, you can get all you can want. This is also cheaper than purschasing it. Hope this helps you get started.
:yeahthat:

·
Registered
762 Posts
Cleaning stations are a great place to start. However, the eggs may be a little messy. As soon as you catch your first female, bleed her right away. This way, you'll get some nice clean skein when you take it. The meat and fillets will be better too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts