Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a cottage on Wild Fowl Bay just south of Sand Point and I'm looking at giving Salmon/Lake Trout fishing a try this year. What kind of distance am I going to have to travel via boat to get into productive areas or should I be planning on loading the boat onto the trailer and heading to Port Austin?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

· Registered
5,471 Posts
I recently purchased a cottage on Wild Fowl Bay just south of Sand Point and I'm looking at giving Salmon/Lake Trout fishing a try this year. What kind of distance am I going to have to travel via boat to get into productive areas or should I be planning on loading the boat onto the trailer and heading to Port Austin?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
To be productive on trout & salmon, you need to chase the right temperature. In that area, you're going to be looking at an early and late season fishery, when water is cold. You'll have to put some miles on the boat to find cold water in the summer.

Port Austin, Grindstone, Harbor Beach, Lexington are good because it's a shorter ride to 'deep' water. Deeper than you're going to find on the edge of Sag Bay anyway.

Sent from my XT1585 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.