Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Usually Drakegunner starts a salmon jigging thread, but I have not seen one this yr. I got my Jonah Jigs all set to go and am wondering if anyone has had any success jigging in Betsie Bay yet this summer.

·
Registered
910 Posts
When do you guys normally start jigging on an average year? And I assume any channel opening to the Great Lakes should be good?

·
Registered
618 Posts
If you had to pick a week in September to jig. What would be the week. Sept 11th or Sept 18 which would be the better date

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Every port has its years just as every river sees good and bad returns. Pick a port and give it a shot, then next year go somewhere else and compare pros and cons

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Muskegon is not bad,
I like Muskegon during the week, rather than the weekend, if I want to catch fish, that is....

Weekend is WAY more entertaining on the flip side, 1/2 the fun Jigging on weekend is watching people
Best when someone posts online that they are hitting and the channel mouth packs right up tight with boats.

Weekend's scenario's go like this.....
Last year the Sheriff was pulling people out of the channel when they started to Anchor in the channel, and just outside the channel on the lake side. I guess its against the law.

They most likely got called when some weekend warrior wannabe Charter Captain (Not a real charter captain) hooked a Kayak fishing guys, anchor line and dragged him all the way to the pier heads......
Guy was pretty feisty. He paddled back anchored next to us again, and was grumping up a storm, was entertaining to say the least.

When that same boat came back through they (Other Jiggers were p.o'd) and tossed anchor lines into the path, and he pulled up his riggers quick, and there were words spoken. Those jiggers are allot like brothers and sisters. They will fight amongst themselves, but don't DARE pick on one of them........lol

You do, you just picked on all of them.......

Watched a guy get at least 4 salmon on the line, but lost every one, but would not tell anyone the color color he was using. After losing the 4th one. He snapped his pole in 1/2 and sat there there rest of the morning until his buddys were done, bit never lifted that lure out of the water to show the color.

I could go on, and on, one year My father-In law was jigging with me, and one jumped next to the boat, scared the crap out of him, and his coffee mug went flying, its somewhere down there now still..... All I could do was laugh.

Two years ago year some one said look and Eagle, and sure enough there was an Eagle flying from North to South, its all quiet as every one is watching the Eagle, and we hear a splash, and some expletives. Evidently the guy was more in-tune to the Eagle than his rod, got a hit, and it tore the pole out of his hands, and he lost it.

For these reasons alone I love jigging on weekends..... Lol

Week Day scenarios goes like this.......
Crickets, just guys jigging, very quiet, rain delayed NASCAR races on radio, or ballgames are heard on radio for entertainment, while jigging.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Oneidaeagle
Your post made me laugh. I've seen all that out there.
Last year I watched a woman casually troll into the pack while her husband was busy tending lines. Next thing you know they are towing 2 boats behind them.
Another time i had a friend with me and he hooked into his first king. It proceeded to dive under a couple boats on its initial run so we had to head after it. When we finally caught up to it some guy had already netted it and was complaining about how it interupted his fishing........

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
Ok, I would like to try the jigging this year, always trolled, but have to admit it looks like fun. I know about Swedish pimples and Jonah Jigs, any other suggestions? Do you use braided line? I would assume that helps with the feel at those depths. 1 oz jigs or higher? I have 10 pound braid on my outfit for walleye jigging, is that sufficient? Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I run Suffix 832 Braided line on all my rods, for Jigging.

I run 30# then a 20# Fluorocarbon leader if I desire (Have caught fish with, and without the leader) while jigging.

I use that # for the reason "Archieup" mentions, "Others" If I do hook one, I can horse it a bit, knowing that the line is good. This helps me keep what limited control I do have, in control & sometimes, away from others. If I see the fish headed for another boat, (Usually the biggest A-Hole in the pack) I can try and slow him down, and get the fish to hopefully change direction.

Ugly stick Rod, and Shimano Spirex 4000 Rear Drag reel, 15# Drag Max. So Mathematically, The Reel would give line before the line would/should break. Nothing really special about the rig.

As for jigging tackle, the weight is allot like jigging for Walleye in concept. As light as you can while maintaining a vertical fishing line with the bottom. Muskegon Lake current picks up as you get closer to the channel. Last year there was a direct wind that was Perfectly blowing straight into the channel. The channel had 3 foot rollers. Days like that are the exception to any ideas I have communicated above :)

Closer to the channel the more weight you need, due to increased force of water going out. On some days I have needed 2 ounce when close to the channel, but away from the channel into the lake, and I have on a nice day, gotten down to 3/4.

1.5 seems to be a good #, in between, I usually have a 1.5 or a 2 on at most times. Mostly cuz that's what I have the most of for jigs.

Oh, and be nice to the Car Ferry. He really does not care if you have a Fish on the line, get the heck out of his way........

Which reminds me of the "Seen it all" stories.
Packed with jigging, Ferry starts coming in, and the "Rope Rodeo" starts. That is every one with anchor lines out, pulling up 50+ feet of anchor line to get out of the Car Ferry's way. Every one moves. when he is gone, every one goes back to their respective spots (Most of the time) well these two guys decided they were in each other's spots and it was an entertaining time listening to them argue about who was where, and who was there first. they must have went on for an hour.

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
I run Suffix 832 Braided line on all my rods, for Jigging.

I run 30# then a 20# Fluorocarbon leader if I desire (Have caught fish with, and without the leader) while jigging.

I use that # for the reason "Archieup" mentions, "Others" If I do hook one, I can horse it a bit, knowing that the line is good. This helps me keep what limited control I do have, in control & sometimes, away from others. If I see the fish headed for another boat, (Usually the biggest A-Hole in the pack) I can try and slow him down, and get the fish to hopefully change direction.

Ugly stick Rod, and Shimano Spirex 4000 Rear Drag reel, 15# Drag Max. So Mathematically, The Reel would give line before the line would/should break. Nothing really special about the rig.

As for jigging tackle, the weight is allot like jigging for Walleye in concept. As light as you can while maintaining a vertical fishing line with the bottom. Muskegon Lake current picks up as you get closer to the channel. Last year there was a direct wind that was Perfectly blowing straight into the channel. The channel had 3 foot rollers. Days like that are the exception to any ideas I have communicated above :)

Closer to the channel the more weight you need, due to increased force of water going out. On some days I have needed 2 ounce when close to the channel, but away from the channel into the lake, and I have on a nice day, gotten down to 3/4.

1.5 seems to be a good #, in between, I usually have a 1.5 or a 2 on at most times. Mostly cuz that's what I have the most of for jigs.

Oh, and be nice to the Car Ferry. He really does not care if you have a Fish on the line, get the heck out of his way........

Which reminds me of the "Seen it all" stories.
Packed with jigging, Ferry starts coming in, and the "Rope Rodeo" starts. That is every one with anchor lines out, pulling up 50+ feet of anchor line to get out of the Car Ferry's way. Every one moves. when he is gone, every one goes back to their respective spots (Most of the time) well these two guys decided they were in each other's spots and it was an entertaining time listening to them argue about who was where, and who was there first. they must have went on for an hour.
Thanks for the great detail, I appreciate it! That's hilarious about the Ferry and claiming a spot...

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
In the past, I used to jig from my boat. I'm currently boatless and wondering has had success casting out and jigging from the pier. Kind of hard to maintain a vertical presentation that way, I would imagine. Normally I just cash spoons or cranks, but would like to add jigging to the arsenal. Any advice? Am I wasting my money on buying a bunch of jigs to use from the pier or is it worthwhile? Do I just do short casts or can I lob it out there like a spoon and jig it in? Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
148 Posts
My dad and i did really well a couple years ago casting 1/2oz kastmasters letting them hit the bottom and jigging them back the way you would for walleye. We had to make longer casts to avoid the rocks closer to the pier

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Anybody been jigging Betsie Lake recently? Looking to head up later this week

I have got no reports of anybody even giving it a shot yet but I have to believe there is some around. Anything is better than sitting at home this time of year

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Still kinda early, the charters are still going out (not in betsie lake or the pier heads). Prob still another couple weeks is my best guess

1 - 20 of 20 Posts