Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just moved up to Traverse City. Went out of Frankfort last year with a friend of mine (who lives downstate) and now own my own ride, SO, I am now getting outfitted for some serious Salmon fishing. Purchased 2 10' dipsey rods, and already owned some decent rods for rigging. Just wondering if there are some preferred set-ups. I plan on running one or two long lines, two dipseys and two on the riggers. I was thinking of 20# Power Pro on the riggers, but was somewhat curious about the dipseys.

Any news is good news!!!!

·
Registered
738 Posts
Kings won't show up at Frankfort until late June/early July in any numbers. Cohos will be later. If you plan to fish Traverse bays the Kings don't get there until August. If you want to do early fishing on the big lake/pier Browns should be starting at Frankfort with ice out. If you plan to troll you can pick up Lakers and occasional Steelhead early, too. You need lighter line, inline, or planer boards from a mast, body baits and fish close to shore/dirty water off river mouths.

For Salmon I fish 20# on my downriggers and 30# on my Dipseys. I hate the way that Cortland's Flea Flicker twists, but I hate the Fleas in August more! Longlines won't do much good in July/August, unless you get some big drop weights. Brian at the Tackle Box can set you up with those. I don't get as serious as most of the guys here, so I just run four downriggers and two Dipseys. All of the hassle with tangles from lead core, wire line, drop weights... just isn't worth it to me and all of my friends and family have all of the Trout and Salmon that they want every year. I stay away from the other boats and find my own fish. It's a challenge and VERY peaceful. Pack fishing isn't fun to me. You need a good fish finder and GPS is a big plus. If you don't have a good marine radio don't go out on the big lake! If you plan to fish alone buy a gaff. It is almost impossible, but I used to manage, to net a 20# fish while doing 2.5 MPH, alone! The temperature can go from 100' down one day to 20' down the next, so listen to that radio for your depth (channel 10 out of Frankfort) or buy a FishHawk.

Pier fishing for Browns at Frankfort can be great in the spring, or you can put up with all of the other guys trolling in Betsie Lake and the harbor. If you hit the pier learn how to take Alewife legally. One trip will teach you the basics.

Good luck!
Mark

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mark,

Thanks for the tips. I am getting set up for Salmon in the time frame you mentioned. I actually chartered Brian last year. We had a great time. I picked his brain somewhat. He is the guy that turned me onto Power Pro. Recommended it highly.

I've got the GPS and am now scouting for the fishfinder. Thinking either the Eagle Fishmark 480 or a Garmin 250. Can't spend too much!!!!! Still need the radio, but no big deal there. Still need those darn downriggers though. Maybe a good birthday gift.

When I've gone out of Frankfort, we seemed to have more luck with long lines than anything else. I know my buddy set up mono, and then went with the leadcore. Still trying to find good set-ups for the dipseys and riggers, though. So your input is appreciated.

I've been a wally guy most of my life, so this Salmon stuff is all new. We trolled on St. Clair, the canadian side, and pretty much was set up for that only. Live and learn ;)

Thanks, and fish on!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts