Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Salmon Fishing on the Pere Marquette River September 17-19, 2008

Every USFS primitive campsite was taken-save one- when I pulled into the river access area. I arrived late after running in Ann Arbor before I left and then going up to the slab mill north of Baldwin for an axel bending load of oak firewood. I was all set and relaxed. Serendipity prevailed as I got the best spot of the lot with a nice campfire already burning. I pitched a 4 X 6 log on the fire and contemplated staying in camp as it was already dark. But the fever got me and I headed to the river after setting up may camp so I could stretch out when I got back, god knows when. I enjoyed walking by the other campsites in the dark and enjoying the feeling that the salmon season was on.

Serendipity again as a fine brown trout hit my chartreuse egg as I was playing our line in a well known hole underneath a leaning cedar tree. I didn't get a great photo because he didn't want to stick around for a second take.

The mighty king in his domain

I landed three salmon before calling it quits around 11:00. The rise of the hunters moon was pleasant. I congratulated myself for remembering the Bell's IPA. The previous week I had to settle for merlot and it just wasn't right. I stayed up late and was amused by a group from Ohio who had been in one of the local bars for a long time. It didn't take long for them to pile into their five pup tents. I stayed up late and so did many other people.

I went out for my run on a Manistee National Forest two track but did not get far when two pit bulls came wheeling out of a campsite with their owners running after them. I was afraid and backed into the woods until the very long minute it took the owners to get them under control. I am a dog person but these boys shook me up.

I read most of the afternoon and had a frustrating evening of fishing. I couldn't hook anything and got my but kicked by several fish. I blamed it on a spey rod I had never used before. My St.Croix has been sent to Wisconsin for a new tip.

The next day I used my 8 wt. And landed another brown trout and two more salmon.

·
Registered
149 Posts
love your post. i to would have been nervous over the pit bulls. i soon as come up on a rattlesnake. sounds like you know where the access points are and know the river well. this will be my trip up there next week and i hope i have at least part of the pleasant experience you had. thanks for sharing and congradulations. cane crazed

·
Registered
162 Posts
I was pleased to see your catches an glad that you took the pics as well what a pleasure it was to hear the story that led to the catch 1rst class all the way trhrough .thnk you !:) may the wind be at your back an your lines tight an wet the MASONMAN66 :fish:

·
Registered
956 Posts
Thanks for the pictures and report Wally. Made my afternoon here at work a little more enjoyable.
Glad to hear that the out come was good with the pit bull encounter. You know, a few years ago when you were a "little younger" you would have just out run them!!! :D :lol:
Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.