Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Salmon Eggs are Sticky

1218 Views 7 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Fishndude
Received some cured Salmon Eggs, possibly dry cure, orange color. The eggs are sticky and wont separate well for tying into sacks. A close to a " Gooey Mess " I need to find a fix to harden and keep separate with little to no sticking together,but not destroying a cure Pergaos a new liquid cure of some kind. Can you help?

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
I don't think you will be able to change these eggs,sounds like they are in the skein.have tied up these goo balls and they work best on the pier or surf.for tieing into bags your best bet is to use single eggs that have been water cured for a half hour in river water then dried for a day in the fridge and frozen.some guys also kosher salt them and leave in fridge without freezing.
Thank you for helping John. The eggs are loose, not in a skein. I am trying to find a soak into some liquid to loosen them up.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
I don't think you will be able to change these eggs,sounds like they are in the skein.have tied up these goo balls and they work best on the pier or surf.for tieing into bags your best bet is to use single eggs that have been water cured for a half hour in river water then dried for a day in the fridge and frozen.some guys also kosher salt them and leave in fridge without freezing.
try and make up a brine w water and kosher salt.try it with a spoon full or 2 so if it doesn't work you don't ruin the whole bunch.good luck,tite lines.
Reactions: slowpaya
Put them in a jar with Patzke Brine and soak and shake occsionally for a day. Should do the trick.
Reactions: piscatorial warrior
Try a small sample with a few drops of mineral oil, unscented, not baby oil.
Reactions: wyandot
Can't you cut them with scissors and tie them?
give them a quick rinse in plain water, and see if that helps
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.