Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Saginaw River

1K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  Marrble Eyes 
#1 ·
Anybody have a report on the river fishing, thinking about going on sat.. thanks in advanced.:)

#2 ·
Gotcha- As of yesterday (Thurs.) the River is still fishable. A retired Friend of Mine checks it out every day and gives Me a report. At My home in Flushing, I have probably 6" snow on the ground today, but plan on sweeping the boat cover off and heading up tommorow and Sunday- weather permitting. The People fishing have been catching the ussual amount of "farm" fish, Cats and Sheeps, but lots of Walleyes. But You do have to do alot of sorting to get get a few keeper size fish. The Hawgs will show up after the Ice is on. Hope this helps- Bob WC#253

#7 ·
Lee st ramp is good to go and the river is fishable.There was plenty of ice flow but was not a problem.We only caught one keeper and plenty of sh--t fish but it was a nice day on the river.Good luck if you get out.:D

#9 ·
If you want a great shop to buy minnows, check out Old Town Party Store on Henry Street in Bay City. It's between Midland Street and Jenny about 3 blocks from the river. The guys in there give you a great count and the minnows are lively and live a long time (even kept in a minnow bucket in the garage!). Plus, they have accurate information and are willing to share. :)

#10 ·
Thanks Rat city hooker Me and Chamook will be heading out about 10:30 at the LEE st. Big eye hunter if there is any way you can jump over on M13 and head north to Saginaw. Justv before you cross the Cass river there is a road called Evon Road turn right and there is a bait shop called COX's bait on the north side of the road. The shop is in his garage and he gives good minnow counts and has anything else that is needed. BAYDOG

#12 ·
RCH- Another fine Day on the River! Let's See, wind, rain, lots of Cats-Sheeps, 15 Walleyes all 14 1/2"- Does it get any better? Kidding aside, it was pretty darn wet! Could'nt buy a keeper, but fun was had by the ole BayDog and I. Most og the action was right Downtown infront of the "wall". As much as I hate to admit it, the BayDog caught 10 of the 15 Eyes'. But, they don`t call Me Capt. Sheephead for nuthin':)!!!!!! Sounds like it`s gonna be nice enough to fish thru New Years- Don`t be puttin` the boat up yet! See Ya- Bob WC#253.

#13 ·
But I did outfish Chamook, maybe it was Chamook was on the bow trolling motor.:rolleyes: Next time take the transom mount motor and I'll do the boat control, or we will take the SYLVAN. Chamook did a fine job on the jumbo silver sided sheepheads and nice cats. Looks like Thursday is the next likely day to hit the river and Saturday and Sunday and better not get greedy. BAYDOG

#14 ·
Glad to hear you guys had a good time despite the nasty weather.Maybe Bob and I should team up,cause the only keeper was caught by my son on saturday.The silver slabs where caught by yours truely.LOL Hope we fish the new year in our boats. Sooooo!!! See ya on the river.:D

#15 ·
You guys were out in that large pack of boats by the wall. We made on pass throught there picked up 8 cats and got out of there. We hit every spot down to the Z-bridge with only small fish to show for our efforts. On our way back up we stoped at the sand piles, 4 legals from 16-19 inches. Not many junk fish in the area but alot of small eyes. the weather was not all bad for the end of Dec.

#17 ·
Yea we saw you guys. We were in the older starcraft. We were not that far down. we were starting our drift at the second train tressel and continue it down to the green bouy. The guys i know have always called that the sand piles. we tried Hog alley but only got a few bumps. One thing that i noticed is that the better fish would come on the emeralds. It would of been nice to have some larger one because our were 2-3 inches. When we tried the larger goldies in the bucket we would only get trash. Good luck later in the week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.