Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my first trip on the river tonight. Fished upstream from the bean tower. 4 to 5 inches of ice, solid shore ice. 7 fish caught 1 keeper at 16", the rest 10" to 14". Bummer!!!:( Constant action for the last hour or so. Lost a nicer fish at the hole. Very cold!!! Lures used #7 Firetiger Rapala, and bright Orange/yellow jig head with stinger hook!!! Alot of other guys out as well!

Let the carnival begin!!!!:D

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Thanks for the report Scott. Anyone else doing anything that you know of? I would like to get down their and fish, but that don't seem like alot of ice for that river to be fishing on. Was that good solid ice?

Oh yeah. How do you like your Vex?

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ice was good and solid where I was. Just about everyone I seen was catching fish. I seen a couple nice ones caught as well.

Vexilars Rule!!!

·
Premium Member
1,513 Posts
hoffie1, there is a little more current then usual, you can get away with a #5 rapala. Me and my buddies pulled 12 the other nite. Dont even bother with downtown saginaw....too many people and too small of fish.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Have you guys fished N. of the Z-bridge at all yet? I have been thinking of making a trip over and would rather fish that way if the ice is good.
The 12 that you pulled the other today Slammer00 were they all legal fish? I have herd of a few guys taking limits. I have to get over before the 24th so I can get signed up for the shiver.

Good Fishing and See You all soon

Tim

PS. I have a new lure that I think is going to tear them up.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hoffie
I didnt think the current was too bad, but it was a little stronger than last year.

Slammer00
;)

tkpolasek
nope I havent been down there yet. Maybe saturday morning. Looking forward to seeing your new lure. I think slammer00 and his crew only got a few legal ones out of those 12.

·
Premium Member
1,513 Posts
tkpolasek, no none of those 12 were legal. I lost on that was probably 20inches and lost a few more that felt a little better that I didnt get a chance to see.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Fished the Saginaw River today with my dad. Fished out in front of Ojibway Ilsand from 6:30am-10am. Two hit's that I missed, well, fell asleep at the wheel so to speak. Measured 6" of ice. Once holes were punch'd water came up onto the ice, bout 1"-2" of water on the ice once the holes were made. Current was ok at first, and that is when I had my two hit's, but then around 9am or so, the current really picked, and nothing was going on. Maybe 12 other people out their beside me and dad. BS'd with another guy, said he caught one 'eye 14 3/4."

On the west side of the river by Court St bridge, their is a spot that is open, so be careful. Also on the west side of the river, their is standing water on the ice. Watch your step, some guy put his hole leg through someone else's hole.

Seen a bunch of shanties down past Hooters. Not sure if they were doing anything or not. Any word on this?

Good luck and be safe.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Yes the current did pick up big time.We fished n. of the z bridge with no luck.I did get two up to the hole with one a 2-3 pounder.Had 4-5 hits but when the current picked up no more hits. Left 9 .45 am. The ice was only about 2" thick with another 2" ofsnow pack.Btw hit the fish on the rattle spoon that I got for entry to the shiver contest.

hoffie

1 - 12 of 12 Posts