Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How's the ice doing on the river?I'm planning on going tuesday.Thinking about trying by Ojibway Island.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Ice is still a good 8 to 10 inches went to wickes park,by Mcdonalds and first street but the fishing was terrible saw 5 keepers caught in 6 hours of fishing don't think I;m going again this year.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
The ice at wicks is still plenty thick but it has lost 3" from thursday.About 6-7" of good ice.Went 1 for 3 this a.m.(17 1/2")

hoffie

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hoffie were you fishing north of the naval base?Thats where I fish and saw a guy catch about a 17 incher.I had good fishing there earlier in the year but now its not hardly worth driving 120 miles but if I lived as close as you do I would be out every chance as my son and I love walleye fishing.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Fished down around Hooters here in town from 7am to 'bout noon. between me and my brother 2 'eyes. Biggest eye was 14 1/2" and one sheephead. Oh, plenty of ice.

Speaking of the river, has anyone been out at all besides hoffie and bronsonman? Stayed home today, and won't be able to go in the morning. Hopefully will be able to make it out sometime this week.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
I was going to try for end of the week with riverboy but your report isn't helping me make up my mind :) I'm waiting until you local boys tell me theres some real fish!

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
bronsonman

I was north of the pack.Had a fishtrap side by side with another trap.We were the only ones in that area.Left about 8-15 am.Tried calling on ch.7 for other m.s. sportsmen.

hoffie

·
Registered
673 Posts
I live just north of you bronsonman . Had to give up on the river , too . After 4 trips & only 2 keepers (not caught by me) , just can't justify driving that far to get skunked . Been going to Lake Mac instead . Now I only have to drive 88 miles to get skunked .

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
havent been out since last week. I was up north chasing gills and crappie over the weekend.Was hoping to hear some better news. Might head out today. How is the current?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I saw two guys go through the ice one in the morning and one in the afternoon on Friday. Was out from Memorial park boat launch north of the bridge. After the second one went through the ice I decided not to stay for the evening bite I got my butt off the ice. Be careful.....................

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I'm not going out on that damned river again until I hear of some numbers of keepers being caught. I grew tired of driving over an hour for 7-10" eyes. I hope that ice holds out until March.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Me either, especially with the reports of guys going swimming. The panfish bite is gonna be hot as the ice on inland lakes melts....i'll stick with that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That area by the Memorial Park always seems to have bad ice even when the rest of the river has good ice.The fishing there has been good for me in the past but you have to be really carefull out there, esspecially now with this thaw going on.Sunny and above freezing this week,rain and 50 degrees on Sunday.Might have to get the boat out.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Fished all day on sunday...started at ind bridge at 6:am and moved to the mouth at 8:30 fished unitll 1200. NO FISH not one. Came back in the afternoon for more abuse and fished from 2pm till 6:30 at the ind bridge NO fish again.......Very frustrating! threw the whole tackle box at em too.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Fished the river tonight with Scott (riverboy). He caught one little dink and that was it. Plenty of ice though. I'd say around a foot or so. One other guy came down. Said he caught two keepers withing just a few minutes of him being out their, and we seen him catch a nice sheephead.

To our surprise, nobody was fishing the river. But then again, they were probally the smart ones. Stay home, kick back a few brown bottles or alum. and do whatever. Either that, or they are just sick and tired of catching these little dinks or for that matter nothing at all.

Hopefully the ice holds out for a little longer, and some better numbers of fish come in. If not, all my gear is gonna get put away, and the steelie gear is coming out :D

Will try to keep you all updated, but I'm to the point of saying "SCREW 'EM!!!!!!"

1 - 16 of 16 Posts