Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you guy's that fish the river please post when river ice is out, so hopefully can get boat in before the 3/15 closure.

thanks in advance
Wink

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I think you might have better luck on the Tib, I think some one said they already had boats getting

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I've been watching it daily by the z-bridge. Thats usually the first to go bad. Only thing is if the current will slow when the ice is gone. This rain will help rid of the ice though. Will post when its gone.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
there were some boats in on the tib at gordonville road sunday. it should get better as the week goes by.

·
Premium Member
29,967 Posts
Still 10 to 12 inches this morning before rain at west boat launch by Independace bridge. Alot of walley on ice on east side of river downstream from open water from essexville discharge. Ice won't be safe to cross river tomarrow. Stay near shore should be fine for day or 2 using spud and common sense:rolleyes:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Someone had too be helped out up by midland. their boat got stuck in the ice. info. was on news at noon. BE CAREFUL!!!!!! M.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
From the news website:
---------------------------------
Midland County — (03/02/04) An early morning boater in Midland County can tell you first hand about changing conditions on the Tittabawassee River.

The man was heading upstream on the Tittabawasee around 2:30 a.m.today when he ran into some ice.

His boat slid on the frozen surface, some 120 feet from open water.

Midland firefighters found the man unhurt and pushed his boat back into open water.
------------------------------------

So this dude was running the river at 2:30am???

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
I went into midland Tues evening. The river is open. Seen a big section of ice flow that broke loose and heading down river at a slow pace. Water was up alot. Seen about 6 vehicles parked at Gordonville rd. So they are fishing it now. Thought about fishing it myself, but I would be limited to the bank, plus i'm leaving tomorow evening for some steelhead :)

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Downtown Bay City would be a good place to shore fish right now. Also at the new boat ramps at the Independence Bridge.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I checked the river from vets park to the mouth today. Nowhere that I saw was fishable from shore or boat. Alot of ice jams and shelf ice. I have a question what do you guys use when fishing walleye from shore in in the river in Bay City?

G

·
Hey guys,

Forgive me for being naive, but whaddya throw at them from shore? Jigs and tails? Do you fish by the pilings there?

I am boatless and ticked about the iceout. Just got back into this year and would like to keep it going (not that luck has been much....). Any input will definately help!

Adios ice.:(

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
The channel is wide open in the zilwaukee area. How far, I dont know. Went out there on lunch and the current was moving pretty good. Along with some good chuncks of ice. I think in a day or two the ice will pass and it might be worth a try. Shore ice is there, but you can shove a boat acrossed it if you wanted to. Might be gone soon though the way its been.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts