Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I had to at least try to fish today! I looked over most of my normal productive areas and the Ice looked really really bad. I headed into an area that usually gets ice first and also gets the thickest ice. It had 10 inches of ice but it was kinda honeycombed for the first 3 or so inches. If you plan on coming up to fish, my suggestion would be DON'T!!!!!!! You might as well put a fork in it cause it's over for this year!(At least North of Zilwaukee.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hey Wheezer ,I also fish and live in the Saginaw area. The Saginaw river did look bad, but was I just wondering if you heard anything on the Tittabawassee river near Midland. I heard rumors it is open near the dam down past the boat launch.If you have heard anything, or can confirm that information, I sure would appreciate it. I hope with the warm weather that is being predicted the Saginaw river opens up before the season ends to give us a few good days in the boats. thanks

·
Registered
11,670 Posts
Baydog,
I fished by Gordenville bridge on the Tib a couple of weeks ago and the ice was only about 2-3 inches. The shore was real iffy due to the amount of water discharged by the dam (dow) I would bet that ice is all gone. Maybe this runoff will bring some fish up the river. Good luck

·
Registered
47 Posts
Kingfisher thanks for the information on the Tittabawassee. Did you catch any eyes while up there. Also is there any deep holes up around the dam and the boat launch area. I'm not too familiar with that area, I'm usually fishing the Center to the Drifters Inn run area. Thank for any info you can give me. Baydog

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Baydog, there are some really good holes just North of the Gordonville Launch. I don't personally own a motor to get up by the Dam so I just fish from shore in that area w/waders. I normally do very well this time of year dead drifting 1/8 to 1/4 oz jigs and twisters tipped with minnows. (Yes! Dead drifting, Just like you were steelheading).
The bites are generally really light so you might not want to fish it on a windy day.
I might be heading that way tommarow so I'll check the river. My guess is that there are a ton of ice flows and high water conditions!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts