Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished the river today. I got 7 eyes, one keeper, and a couple "other fish". My partner hooked a fish but never saw it. After several hours, we went to the ramp with our one 15 1/8" eye, feelin' pretty good about myself given the conditions. Another guy comes in, I ask how they did, he says "we got our 10". Thinking he was foolin with me, I asked if they were all bigguns. He showed me their cooler full of fish, all 3-4 pounders. "nuts" I think, it's a fluke. Another boat comes in "how'd you do?", "We got our 10." I am now convinced I suck as a walleye fisherman, and will put my boat away tomorrow, probably give it to the poor next spring, who knows? Good luck to all you real fishermen out there. :sad:

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Don't give up yet, the "good" fishing is just around the corner. Nobody gets 'Em everytime ! Bob

·
Registered
823 Posts
FishingJoe said:
I am now convinced I suck as a walleye fisherman
:lol: :lol: :lol:

sorry couldn't help it... I certainly know what you mean... at least you had a line in the water !!!

·
Registered
598 Posts
When I was fishing on the D River in the Spring, I had many occasions where I would come in with one during horrible conditions only to have the rest of the boats with two or three guys have their limits. It was frustrating but it made me more determined to do better the next time. Keep your chin up, you could have been home working on the "honey-do-list."

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
FishingJoe said:
Fished the river today. I got 7 eyes, one keeper, and a couple "other fish". My partner hooked a fish but never saw it. After several hours, we went to the ramp with our one 15 1/8" eye, feelin' pretty good about myself given the conditions. Another guy comes in, I ask how they did, he says "we got our 10". Thinking he was foolin with me, I asked if they were all bigguns. He showed me their cooler full of fish, all 3-4 pounders. "nuts" I think, it's a fluke. Another boat comes in "how'd you do?", "We got our 10." I am now convinced I suck as a walleye fisherman, and will put my boat away tomorrow, probably give it to the poor next spring, who knows? Good luck to all you real fishermen out there. :sad:

Joe.

Heres a few hints. Its obvious the guys you talked to were nice guys. They showed you their fish. Thats the time to do some pumping and take a first hand look at their gear in their boat. It may have been as simple, that they were on a pod of fresh arrivals. Or they may have been fishing in deeper/shallower/faster or slower water. Using heavier/lighter Jigs. Using/not using minnows. Casting/or trolling cranks. Fact is, any and/or all of these things could have been the difference. But simply looking at their catch and walking away in discust, will never shed light on the catch difference or the method results. It never hurts to ask. Even the great Capt. Dan does it when he gets the short end of the stick. And I have plenty of times, believe me. Even if the guys were closed mouth about the whens, wheres and hows. You can gleem a lot of info out of just looking at their rigs and gear in the boat. Being a detective and a snoop, is part of the fishing game. ;) :p

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dan, sorry it came off that way, I didn't walk away in disgust, just frustration. They were exremely nice guys, and did tell me where they were and what they were using. I know walleyes are a nomadic group, so some day I will figure out where they should be, You probably don't recall, but a friend and I chartered you 2 years ago for some icefishing. The guy with me had never seen a walleye in his life, and he got 2 or 3. You got 2 or 3, I lost one when my hooks caught the bottome of the hole - no fish for me.

Paul - you're just being mean.
:fish2:

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
FishingJoe said:
Dan, sorry it came off that way, I didn't walk away in disgust, just frustration. They were exremely nice guys, and did tell me where they were and what they were using. I know walleyes are a nomadic group, so some day I will figure out where they should be, You probably don't recall, but a friend and I chartered you 2 years ago for some icefishing. The guy with me had never seen a walleye in his life, and he got 2 or 3. You got 2 or 3, I lost one when my hooks caught the bottome of the hole - no fish for me.

Paul - you're just being mean.
:fish2:

Wasn't that the trip you said it was the coldest you've ever been in your life, after you road in on the Dog Sled in that 35 knot wind? :SHOCKED: :sick: And isn't this your buddy and one of his fish? :tdo12: :D Part of being a good fisherman is remembering all the trips, the good and the bad. :cool:

·
Registered
271 Posts
yep, thats the trip dan... and the fish, and me. First halfway decent walleye i ever caught. lots of fun. look forward to it again this year. at least i dont get sick on the bay when there's ice! :gaga:

joe, maybe it's your partner... ;)

·
Super Moderator
MMMmmm Scooby Snacks RULE!
16,424 Posts
I had a dry spell this summer - either 6 or 8 trips , I was fishing too deep , but I was determined to catch fish showing on my sonar....
Then somebody told me to try shallower... I listened and I've been steadily stocking my freezer since...
ASK:
how , what , why , when and NEVER give up!
All of us can learn something , just as Cpt. Dan said.

Robert

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Keep at it joe, even the JIG-MASTER RIVER RAT has tough days every now and then.

Just got back from fishing the Sagnasty all day in the snowstorm. Here is what I look like now:

not!!!

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Just spit coffee all over My 'puter screen :rant: ! You're killin' Me this morning :tdo12: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: - PS - Bonz54 looked just like that in My boat one day after a "little" run from Bay City to Saginaw :evilsmile. That is the Frank B signiture series rod and reel from St. Croix isn't it (in His favorite color too) ? Bob

·
Premium Member
11,013 Posts
You didn't say what you caught! Was it worth the trip and how much ice is forming? I see there is some warmer weather on the way and would like to come over there and catch a few more if possible! :xzicon_sm Did you have to chip the ice out to get your boat out of the water?:evilsmile At least it appears as though you had something to pack any fish you caught in.:yikes:

Bob

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Too-o-o funny Scotty. That's is almost what Dave and I looked like on our trip with Dan, but maybe a little bigger. After a good nights sleep (grandkids arrived last nite, so not too good), I thought I'd put everything away next weekend, keeping just enough in the boat to keep it legal just in case I try it again before replacing the boat with the quad in the garage. Happy Turkey-Day guys.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
DeerSlayer I was only kiddin', I am not that crazy to fish in that kind of snow. If I still had a no-frills small aluminum boat I'd be out there a lot more right now, but slick launches and heavy boats don't mix too much.

You guys can safely assume the weather's going to turn nice on Monday when I go back to work!

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Friday 9am
the Tibb is running at a trickle again, less than 600cfps. Maybe the guy in charge of the dam is off today or something, sure would like to have some current tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
scottyhoover said:
Friday 9am
the Tibb is running at a trickle again, less than 600cfps. Maybe the guy in charge of the dam is off today or something, sure would like to have some current tomorrow.

I don't think your to far from the truth Scotty. If I recall, the Sanford Dam is run by the city of Sanford and not a municipality. With that being the case, I'm sure Thanksgiving and the other holidays have a Bering on the timely operation of said Dam. You would also have a little (ice Flow) problem today if you were fishing either river. I just talked to my bud who said the Titt. is flowing very low/slow and full of ice right now. The team having the bigger (Nads) tomorrow, will definetly have an advantage. :tdo12: :yikes: :lol:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts