Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
13,974 Posts
I hunted the marshes/layout spots etc.... I have seen slow times but never anything like this. hunted some days that would make most duck hunters salivate and just couldnt find the birds.
Same for me. Great conditions many days, but nothing....
VERY noticeable absence of mallards and other puddle ducks, with the exception of woodies. Saw a good amount of them

·
Registered
59 Posts
Same for me. Great conditions many days, but nothing....
VERY noticeable absence of mallards and other puddle ducks, with the exception of woodies. Saw a good amount of them
I have to agree also. This has been the worst season on the bay for me in 29 seasons. The ducks didn’t seem to show up. Did anyone else notice the drastic loss of water since teal season. I am guessing a loss of 18-20 inches.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I do not hunt the bay, but this years mallard harvest has already far exceeded last years grand total for my group. We didnt get into them much the first couple weeks but since then, they have been the vast majority of our harvest. Next most common duck for us are blacks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have to agree also. This has been the worst season on the bay for me in 29 seasons. The ducks didn’t seem to show up. Did anyone else notice the drastic loss of water since teal season. I am guessing a loss of 18-20 inches.
I will Say it’s been crazy the lack of water in the marshes on the West side of the state…during Teal and the youth hunt there was plenty of water and then once regular season hit the water was gone….turned into just a mud pit. Obviously this has nothing to do with season dates and more to do with the lack of rain….just an observation, interesting to hear the same happened on the east side of the state… We have definitely had to readjust our hunting strategy because of it…

·
Registered
13,974 Posts
At least 18"-20" down since September. And it's not just south/southwest winds doing it

·
Registered
257 Posts
Or we don't. I think we'd need a perfect winter to return to levels we saw this past spring, which was down a foot from the previous spring. We need a big snowfall, full ice pack on the Great Lakes and a wet spring. I do not see that happening.

·
Registered
258 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, we're still above "normal", or at least we're still above long-term average. Am I mistaken?
My problem in recent years hasn't been lack of water. It has been lack of ducks.
At least lack of ducks in places I always found them for the last four decades.
For what it's worth, some of the best hunting years of my life were in low-water years. We just moved around a little and found the places they were using.
I'm starting to think they have changed their habits entirely, and I'm too old to start over.

·
Registered
564 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, we're still above "normal", or at least we're still above long-term average. Am I mistaken?
My problem in recent years hasn't been lack of water. It has been lack of ducks.
At least lack of ducks in places I always found them for the last four decades.
For what it's worth, some of the best hunting years of my life were in low-water years. We just moved around a little and found the places they were using.
I'm starting to think they have changed their habits entirely, and I'm too old to start over.
I have been hunting the Bay near Sebewaing for the last 50+ years and we have done better on the low water years mostly the only high water years we had that were great were in the 60's because we had lots of canvasbacks and bluebills.

61 - 80 of 86 Posts