Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, we are way past the opening day thread so I thought I would start a thread to add results from what I hope is many more hunts.

Went out of Sebewaing (Geiger road) and went North to set up in open water.
Pretty dismal to start as we didn't see a half dozen ducks. But then - presto - there are redheads and ringnecks swimming in the dekes. Clip a couple of those and barely have time to reload before a dozen redheads coming barreling in.
At the end of the 5 minute escapade, we have our 4 redheads and a ringneck.
We decided to quit at 11 and we were prepping to leave and had a hen goldeneye come in, we added her to the bag.
So we finished with 6 on a day we didn't see 40 ducks.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Went out of Bayport yesterday to hunt the open water and, again, there were not many birds around. We scratched a couple of single ww scoters and had a small group of shovelers come in and we took 3. We maximized our few chances but otherwise an uneventful hunt.

With the winds this morning projected to be west to 30mph, the open water is a no go.

Had to revert back to my old marsh hunting ways and get up at o dark thirty to get to my spot - figured Saturday morning would be busy. Got to my spot at 4 and have 3 others boats come by since then. It might not be as bad as I thought as the zone 3 opener is today and the southern gents will be staying closer to home.

We shall see

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Went out of Bayport yesterday to hunt the open water and, again, there were not many birds around. We scratched a couple of single ww scoters and had a small group of shovelers come in and we took 3. We maximized our few chances but otherwise an uneventful hunt.

With the winds this morning projected to be west to 30mph, the open water is a no go.

Had to revert back to my old marsh hunting ways and get up at o dark thirty to get to my spot - figured Saturday morning would be busy. Got to my spot at 4 and have 3 others boats come by since then. It might not be as bad as I thought as the zone 3 opener is today and the southern gents will be staying closer to home.

We shall see
Good luck doob, should be a good morning in the marsh.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, yesterday was a bust - only a gw teal to show foe our efforts. I think we quit a little early (partners had prior commitments) as I expected the west wind to bring some new birds (fingers crossed)

Out in the big floater (Bay Port) as we speak. Have seen a few groups but no action yet, divers here don't get up till 9.:p

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As I anticipated, with the change to a westerly wind the migration would start in earnest. Unfortunately, it was the cormorant migration. must have seen 8 bazillion of the bast****. The ducks, however, did not cooperate. Had one shot and took a hen ringneck. With the winds forecasted for the next several days, we will be out and hope to be in the right spot when they finally decide to make their move.

·
Registered
243 Posts
As I anticipated, with the change to a westerly wind the migration would start in earnest. Unfortunately, it was the cormorant migration. must have seen 8 bazillion of the bast****. The ducks, however, did not cooperate. Had one shot and took a hen ringneck. With the winds forecasted for the next several days, we will be out and hope to be in the right spot when they finally decide to make their move.
Good luck to ya we are gonna hook up with a buddy for a layout hunt next week hope they moving

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Made it to the marsh Monday morning and scratched out 3 but had to quit early. Too bad as the wind switched and picked up in the early afternoon and the birds showed up in spades (per buddies).

Made it to the marsh Tuesday morning and let's just say that the trip out was "sporty", but well worth the effort. Shot a 4 man limit which included redheads, ringnecks, gw teal, bw teal, mallards and a widgeon.

Went back to the same spot this morning and they were still there and willing to play. Early on it was a ringneck fest, which we were thankful for as normally you shoot your 2 redheads and then hunt defensively. In fact, I don't ever recall seeing and shooting so many ringnecks! And there were rafts of thousands to our right and about a 500 bird raft to our left. We picked them off as they traded back and forth and mistakenly slid to close to our set. We managed another 4 man with redheads, our first bluebills and a pile of ringnecks.

Back at it tomorrow to see if the change to a sw wind negatively impacts the hunt.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Back out to open water on the edge of the marsh where we had noted a big flock of divers feeding. They were mostly gone this morning but groups would work through fairly steady. Mostly redheads but the number of bluebills was also significant, especially since we had killed only a couple prior to today. Got our first bufflehead as well as our first canvasback of the seaon. No limits today as we didn't have the ringnecks to spread out the bag.

The divers are still around

·
Registered
8,985 Posts
Back out to open water on the edge of the marsh where we had noted a big flock of divers feeding. They were mostly gone this morning but groups would work through fairly steady. Mostly redheads but the number of bluebills was also significant, especially since we had killed only a couple prior to today. Got our first bufflehead as well as our first canvasback of the seaon. No limits today as we didn't have the ringnecks to spread out the bag.

The divers are still around
I always look forward to your Diver reports…I wish Erie was 1/4 as good as Sag bay.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts