Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally dinner at last. Was beginning to wonder if the Bay had any keeper perch. My last two trips prior to 1/10 were nothing to talk about. Posted a report that the Pine or Wig-Wam was going to be my spots, but changed my plan. Neuman Rd. approx. 1.5 miles NE. about 5' of water and had perch that were aggressive and bigger than my minnows. Did not really kill them and we threw back our share but brought home a couple dozen 8-9" eaters. Ice was 4", but there were still some spots that were thinner. Used caution to get where we ended up and we watched the wind direction as well. Tried everything but what worked the best was a small tear drop tipped with a live minnow. Color did not seem to matter, small was the ticket. Had no one around us all morning. Perch came in small schools of 4 to 6 that we could see. Singles would stop to look and then take off. Not enough competition I guess. Noticed on the way home that there was still open water at Wicks Park and up toward Ojibway. Need more cold weather before I start the river. Stay dry. DC

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Thanks for the report dreamcather.Went out sat.from the pine about 3/4 mile north with poor results.Did not see any caught .Most everyone were on the move.Ive heard of a couple other decent reports off neuman rd.May try there tomorrow.

hoffie

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hoffie
If you try Neuman let me know how you do. As I said in my first post the larger fish would just come in for a look. The only thing I did not try was to keep one line lying on the bottom. At times this has triggered a pick-up when a suspended line off the bottom will not especialy with bigger fish.Should not have a problem with the ice since the wind on Sat. took care of most of the loose stuff. Half way out is where we found some thin spots. 2-3' of water. Need to be at 5'+. Should be able to spot those thin spots if no new snow has fallen since sat. Good luck be safe-DC

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Thanks for the tips dreamcatcher.I am taking a 3 wheeler out so I will pay attention to the ice patterns. Will let ya know how I did.

hoffie

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Snakebite- The water was pretty clear. I see that other guys are reporting cloudy conditions closer to the Pine. That could be why we did better but the water depth I think was the key. There was another report off the pine and they did OK and they were in the same depth!! Later DC

1 - 8 of 8 Posts