Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

First post, I hope it's not typical or annoying.
Last year was the first year my father and I had fished the Saginaw river.
We have had some interest in the bay however we do not have a snowmobile or Quad Etc...
How far into the bay can we expect to walk to get any action for some eye's ?
Where would the best launch site be for least amount of walking.
My old man is getting older and I don't want to take him too far.
Should we stick to the Saginaw river ?
We live almost 2 hours away, any response is appreciated. :bowdown:

·
Registered
355 Posts
I would stick around the mouth area you can walk out and get to alittle bit deeper or fish. The channel that is close. Just my opinion plus its pretty easy acess good luck and be safe.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
11,850 Posts
Welcome to the site brotherwolf.

Its hard to walk out to the deeper water... I did it once. Back when I was in college! That was out of linwood. Took about 2hrs to hike out.

Thankfully, somebody gave me a ride back in or I'd still be walking.

I'd say the river mouth would be the best vantage point if ur hiking... But I'd look for a cheap sled if ur going to be serious about fishing the bay.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses fellas : )

We are planning to get up there sometime in February after he gets back from Europe. I called and talked to him the other morning and he has walleye fever.
We are going to keep it simple and fish the mouth like suggested or revisit the same location as last year. After driving for two hours I definitely don't want to walk for another two hours dragging a shanty and a gas auger.
Aside from that, my old man caught a 5# last year and knowing him he will beat the hell out of that same hole this season. :bonk:
Maybe I can try to get out there before he gets back.
I can do a scouting trip one day this week and just survey the area a little better.
Thanks again and be safe.

·
Registered
11,850 Posts
Should try to make it up during 1 of the basecamp weekends...

Ill have my cat and dog sled.... Be glad to get you and ur ole man out.to the fishing grounds...

I sure miss fishin with my ole man... Take advantage of it while you can,

Be a good time to check out a bunch of differnt rigs that ply the bay and see what ya want.... Not to mention its a helluva good time!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dad took me walleye fishing in the Thames river / Canada back in the 80's.
Last year was the first time we had been ice fishing since.
Once I found out what girls were I didnt wanna fish, I wanted to party. :)
But now that I know what girls are about... I just wanna go fishing. :lol:
Don't know what basecamp weekend is but ill do some research.
Appreciate the offer of towing.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Brotherwolf...

The base camp weekends are scheduled to be from the 5th until the 20th out of Linwood. Just do a search for Wally Base Camp on here or youtube to see what we are about. It's alot of fun for all.

PM me if you need more info after your search... Welcome aboard!

Brent

·
Registered
594 Posts
MMMMM, a newbie at basecamp, just kidding Brotherwolf, its a great time to meet fellow MS members, a time to learn some new tactics, eat some good food and drink a few barley pops

·
Registered
248 Posts
MMMMM, a newbie at basecamp, just kidding Brotherwolf, its a great time to meet fellow MS members, a time to learn some new tactics, eat some good food and drink a few barley pops

FISH... No details for the newbie!!!! The initiation is the fun part for us!:yikes::yikes::yikes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts