Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am some what new to the saginaw bay fishing, but now that i have a bigger boat i plan to hit it hard. i hoped someone could school me on some things.

where is the spark plug people talk about?
And i couldnt find SPOILS ISLAND on my map? Where is that?

I have learned that the slot is prettty massive, and i know where the black hole is, but is there is any other key area i should know, i would appreciate the help. Oh yeah and mostly i just care for teh walleye.

Thanks Guys.

·
Registered
86 Posts
the spark plug is about 5 or 6 miles out of bay city just fallow the channel out and it's the first big bouy " looks like a spark plug "

·
Registered
749 Posts
That first one (that riceken spoke of) is red and white. Another 5 miles toward the center of the bay is a green and white one - often called #1 - because it is the #1 'buoy" of those that mark the channel as you are coming in from the outer bay. They are in pairs - when you're facing downstream, green is on the right (starboard) and red on the left (port). Many people remember them the opposite way because it's easy to remember "red, right, returning". #1 is a permanent "tower" as is #12 - the red and white one. The rest of them are floating "cans" that are removed before ice-up each year. If you look at a map of the Bay, the red one (Spark Plug) and its pair are shown as #'s 13&14, but they have removed some buoys, making them 11&12 now. (I hope that's not too much information).
The Spoils Island is near the mouth of the Saginaw River on the East side of the channel.

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
30,283 Posts
Welcome to the site.:) Where about are you from? If your up to Bay city, and I'm available, could go out with you and show you a few areas. I'm not near the nautical expert as many on this site are, but can get around the bay well enough to keep out of harms way and catch some fish.

Here's a map site, find map no. 14863 on the list, and click in center. Play around on bottom with arrows and you'll figure it out. Used to be a good one from mapquest with gps coords and all, but it doesn't work for me anymore. Must have been an introductory thing since someone else posted it on site. Good luck, and be careful out there, its getting into "the turn bad in a hurry" time of year for weather here soon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts